skeletalism or massification

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

this topic has just come up in my real life.

some people who have been kind enough to put my music onto their website have asked me to write some promotional material.

one thing I was going to mention earlier was that I was glad it was my job to make the music rather than describe it in meaningful but concise real world terms.

irony.

so, I'm curious... what would you write if asked to be your own personal journalist?

and what do you tell people when they ask you 'oh right! what kind of music do you make then?'
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

oblioblioblio wrote:this topic has just come up in my real life.

some people who have been kind enough to put my music onto their website have asked me to write some promotional material.

one thing I was going to mention earlier was that I was glad it was my job to make the music rather than describe it in meaningful but concise real world terms.

irony.

so, I'm curious... what would you write if asked to be your own personal journalist?

and what do you tell people when they ask you 'oh right! what kind of music do you make then?'
i think the best way is to get a friend to write it. i always hate doing bios etc, you end up trying so hard not to sound arrogant that it kind of defeats the purpose.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

getting a friend to do it is a marvelous idea.

I had little go at it myself, and actually had some fun doing it, but the chances are that it reads awful to anyone else.... friend definitely seems to be the way to go. ta!
kpelaez
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kpelaez »

you cannot be serious with this post...? :?

hm.

eh i like minimal. thats about it. :shock:
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

love it!

i really enjoy hte idea of splitting music into as tiny a niche genre as you can, because i am curious about the basic thought processes that goes into how the music was developed. It would be great to say that its all just music, but that totally discounts the individual ideas people have.

We are all earthlings, but even 2 cities of the same country have different histories and vibes. Even in the same cities there are distinct identities between neighborhoods.

we all eat food, but who complains about meats, grains, and vegetables being separated into separate groups?

Journalists go too far, but if there was no music to write about, they would simply use their literary self indulgence on another field. People with honest artistic intentions to create music will do so regardless of what another calls it.
freeeeeee
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Pfft, why even call something music - it's all just waves of sound!

We are humans, we like to organize things, categorize things and label them. While I do think the sub-sub-sub genre hair-splitting name game can get a bit silly, to go in the complete opposite direction and "down with genres!" is also silly.

We instinctively categorize and label things so we can get a better understanding of them, and also to keep our heads a bit more organized. Problems start to pop up when people use those classifications of limitations to expression and creativity or exploration of new music.

On a very general level - I like music of many genres. That being said I tend to generally like/dislike rather board classifications of music. Generally speaking - I don't like rap music. However, now and then a track might come out that catches my ear and I'll enjoy it. I dont think "zomg, it's rap - so it MUST suck'.

I like it because I like it, not because of the genre it does or does not fall into. But, generally speaking - there are genres where I tend to like most of it, and genres where I tend to dislike all of it.

- I like techno, more specifically I tend to like minimal techno, then within the world of minimal techno I tend to really geek out a certain style of minimal techno. Hell, according to this thread, apparently the stuff I tend to gravitate towards to most is 'Skeletalism'.

Or, I could be long winded about it and say

"I like synthetic music that's produced electronically that makes effective use of white noise / hiss / clicks while a pulsey-hypnotic bass drives things a long, that while highly repetitive also features subtle variations that really pull you into the music"

Genres & Labels are great ways to first get involved into something and to learn about it. It's a starting point - the trick is to NOT let them limit you, and be willing to 'break out' of them. It also gives people some point of a starting ground for discussion / debate and a way to relate to others by sharing in common interests and likes. I dont see what's so wrong about that.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:this topic has just come up in my real life.

irony.

aw man trying to write your own biog is a nightmare, i used someone elses description of me on myspace because i read this review and i thought this guy really understands my music, he's far more eloquent than i am, and he wrote it without ego.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I had my journalists friend from IDJ write my biography the other day. It's definitely the way to go.