Neighbours

- ask away
habitueE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by habitueE »

viva hate wrote:I live in my studio rather than have a studio in my home.
I have one room with a mattress and records, the other room has nothing but 202, 303, 505, 606, 808, 909 and so on.
Never had any complains whatsoever. On the other hand, I have no door bell, hehe.
:lol: convenient
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

My studio is in my apartment now. Been like this for a year. I don't really like it. Nope...

I miss fucking off to my internet-less and phone-less studio where the whole world belonged to me. It was peace. Alone. No one. Time would stop and I'd work like crazy. I went there to chill out too. It was my primary home because I used to sleep there more than in my apartment. I'd usually go home to shower and get changed... and post a few things here.

I really miss it.... awwwwww.... the total PEACE. Priceless.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

I have one room with a mattress and records, the other room has nothing but 202, 303, 505, 606, 808, 909 and so on.
Never had any complains whatsoever. On the other hand, I have no door bell, hehe.

If you ever miss living in a real home, just take a deep breath, it'll go away.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

students just arent what they used to be.[/quote]

Amen to that brother....
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

my student house is the exception. Parties at least once a week, drugs, prostitutes (nothing to do with me), loud music all the time!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
steevio wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
pheek wrote: London... mate, that must be a nightmare fee indeed! Montreal's the poorest metropolitan city in North america so we're spoiled :)
Yeah its well expensive. For just the one room your looking at about £200 a month, but I'm paying £1200 a month for rent on my flat so dont reallywant to add anything else on top of that.
man i dont get why underground musicians live in london, £1200 for a flat jeez, thats nearly 3 times what we pay for a huge detached 4 bedroom house in it's own grounds, including all the bills, heating, electricity, council tax, the lot. in wales.
and its not like theres no music scene here either, i usually enjoy myself more out here than i ever do in london. clubs like fabric are the pits, i've never been to a more unfriendly club. ok i'm being unfair theres some good nights on in london, but is it worth it ? how do you survive ?
neighbours ?, we call them sheep here.
I wouldn't say Fabric is the pits, granted its not as friendly as a lot of other places, but the line-ups are the best in the country. There are lots of great nights on in London every single week, most days of the week. I moved to London 4 months ago and music wise things have sky rocketed for me. London is a great place to live if you want to get move up in the world of music, just like Berlin I guess if you were German.

It really does depend on what you want in life. Me moving to London has helped me as a producer and has helped my label loads.
I suppose it really depends on lots of factors, i know lots of people who moved to london and didnt move up in the music world because they spend most of their time just surviving. with the internet nowadays you can live on the top of a mountain and still be totally involved in the music scene. its totally down to the quality of your music, and not where you live.
you've done well and its cool its worked for you in such a short space of time, you must be doing something very right, but theres loads of people who struggle.
there's a big difference in berlin, it's one of the few places you can live the bohemian lifestyle because its so cheap, no wonder many british musicians move over there, but its not easy to break through there because there's so many electronic musicians living there, and competition for gigs is fierce.
my comments about fabric were misplaced in a thread about neighbours,
but its my opinion, i dont really care what the line-up in a club is, if i cant dance beacause theres no room, and the atmosphere is non existant, give me an intimate party with quality underground artists any day.
Yeah a lot of people struggle in London, but with my I was lucky enough to have a high paid job so I saved so I could live without hassle and any extra money that comes in is a bonus.

Fabric of late has been super busy and I respect your comments about not being able to dance and I for one love intimate partys. I went to a great party last night at Corsica Studios with Matthias Tanzmann which was quality. I really do prefer places like mainly because its full of good people, that are there for the music and no other reason.

All this talk of horrible neighbors has made me want to move, so first thing monday morning I'm going to start looking again.
viva hate
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by viva hate »

thom wrote:

If you ever miss living in a real home, just take a deep breath, it'll go away.

But I have the same problem as you do. Internet etc is taking too much time. This forum for instance, even though I read much more than I post.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

i've had what I'd call a grinding war of attrition with my neighbours, basically - I've outlasted them all.

I've had a lot of complaints, some including violence, but it's worked out allright.

I had one woman above me who was really fat and angry - she'd stomp aroudn her house all the time and even the slightest bit of noise would annoy her, at the time I lived with a guy who was just learning to DJ and liked a beer or 2, so you can imagine the scene when he'd come home drunk and have a mix.

anyway - she'd go mental, be down banging our door etc, but seriously - she'd do that even if we were just watching TV.

The Guy next door was an alcaholic and really quite nasty - he'd try to fight people in the street late at night and would often start fights with the neighbours.

One night he was so drunk and angry - he started shouting at my window when my friend and I were jamming, we had a mic plugged in so we MC-d at him "fck off you twat" thru the vocoder etc - killing ourselves laughing and then shut the curtains - at this , he trashed his own flat and eventually moved out.

I mean he was so bad he'd mash up his own house with a baseball bat after challenging the whole street to a fight - he was an idiot. It wasn't just us that made him like this - one of the 1st weekends I lived there he kicked off at a neighbour on his way home from the pub - I mean every weekedn you could hear him, he was a menace !

So yeah - between these 2 they called the police like a good 10 times within the 1st month or so of us being in the flat, sometimes it was ridiculous, we'd be sitting eating our dinner watching tv (quietly) and they'd turn up - apolagise and leave.

In the end the police got so fed up with their unreasonable sh!t that they threatened them with wasting police time.

Not that we weren't 100% innocent, we'd often get round them by doing things like - If it was late at night and we'd been making noise - I'd turn the lights off and strip into my boxers and mess my hair up - when the police came to the door, I'd answer it rubbing my eyes and saying - you woke me up man - what's the deal !!!

We managed to avoid capture many times this way - one time we were very lucky - and decided to go for munchies and as we left the flat - we walked past a police van and car - whooops :)

But we did get caught out a few times, largely because we were either too fucked to be clever or because there was a full scale party happening.

Nowadays - it's much quieter, and most of the annoying people have moved out - I don't make music late at night and only do it for a couple of hours at any time - Often after that I'll use headphones, and I've never had any complaints since the intolerable idiots moved out.

The only guy that gets pissed off lives above my flatmates room and the guys that have had decks no longer live there, so it's all peace and quiet for him, but he's a nutter - he came down all the time being really agressive and we nearly kicked off a few times, but fck it - I won't be intimidated by people like that, I don't mind if people want to be reasonable, but If they come down all angry and ready to fight then fck em, specially if in his case - he has parties quite a bit and has a lot of aggresive mates who make noise in the stairs, so I'm like fck you If you think you are complaining !!!

But yeah - so now , it's all cool, I now know a lot of the folk in the stair from being there so long and they all know I'm a chilled guy, it's just I make msuic, so no one really gives me any sh!t anymore because they'd rather have me being mellow than a bunch of aggresive, alcaholic idiots that want to make as much noise (as in shouting, smashing the place up, fighting) as they see fit but can't tollearate others doing it.