motu ultralite vs audio 8

- ask away
ec50
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

motu ultralite vs audio 8

Post by ec50 »

before you all jump at me for starting a new topic on soundcards - dont worry - i have done my research - read through all the threads concerning the topic and have not found an answer to my situation (lot of info about which are good soundcards - but i already know this):

im buying a new laptop and will need a new soundcard - as i cant (and dont want to) use my echo indigo pci card any longer.

im buying macbook pro and am looking for an external card.

the options are the motu ultralite, the rme400 and also at the audio 8

(rme is too expensive for me now so i've dropped that option)

my question is: does the audio 8 compare to the motu ultralite?

i would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this enquiry. i will be using the card for both production and performance (both via live 7 & my monitors are mackie hr824s).

the reason i'm even considering the audio 8 over the ultralite is because i would then also have the traktor scratch system - so 2 for 1 if you will...

however i dont want to sacrifice a large amount of quality in the card in order to gain the traktor scratch system.... (the specs of the audio 8 look good on paper, are they?)

hope i made my situation clear! and that someone has had experience with both cards.

max
"Half maximal effective concentration"

www.ecfifty.com
www.myspace.com/ec50
www.soundcloud.com/ec50
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

I've got the ultralite, and like it alot

RME makes pretty good stuff too
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

They're both good interfaces, and I've never really had any complaints about the sound quality from either of them.

From my perspective, he two big benefits of the Ultralite are more ins/outs and balanced i/o. I also think FireWire is a benefit.

The benefits of the Audio8 are that it has phono preamps and you could use it for Traktor Scratch.
nihad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nihad »

as brianc said, the advantages of every system is obvious ..

if you need many ins/outs or high quality preamps go for the ultralite
if you want to use traktor scratch and just want a card to connect to monitors and a couple of synths, go for the audio 8 ..

basically i owned both of them for a couple of month before selling the ultralite, because i simply didn't need it, well at least not right now ..

audio 8 covers all my needs, especially for performance with traktor scratch and ableton, but also as a simple studio interface ..

allthough, i plan to buy more hardware synth in the future, and will probably buy a motu828mk3 or the rme ... :-)
ec50
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ec50 »

nihad wrote: if you want to use traktor scratch and just want a card to connect to monitors and a couple of synths, go for the audio 8 ..

audio 8 covers all my needs, especially for performance with traktor scratch and ableton, but also as a simple studio interface ..
awesome, thanks all for the replys

nihad: this is exactly the case - think i've made up my mind - go for the audio 8 for now - use it for 'simple' studio needs, traktor scratch & ableton, then in longer run buy a motu ultralite or rme for further needs.

:)
"Half maximal effective concentration"

www.ecfifty.com
www.myspace.com/ec50
www.soundcloud.com/ec50
plastik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by plastik »

nihad wrote:
please excuse me if I sneak in, but I have a question too. :oops:
I own serato scratch live but I am now buying a new laptop for ableton 7.
can I use serato's soundcard? oh: do I have to install serato on my new laptop as well, even though I am just using it for ableton? thanks.
plastik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by plastik »

any help, then? :( please.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

you can't use serato as a soundcard.

or at least i didn't figure out how to....
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk