Analogue/tube channelstrip or dynamics proc.?

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

If you DJ too, and have an anologue mixer, run your mix through that....
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Keagan »

tape
async
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by async »

+1 to tape

buy a reel-to-reel and bounce stuff to that just a tad hot, then record it and re-edit.

will probably be cheaper than buying a tube compressor.

otherwise, look into the RNLA or the RNC and RNP. that guy is a genius
_Mark
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ArhiteK wrote:yeah... hmmm...

actually,what about other ways of using it. For example, run sound out from my Synthesizer 1 through it, and bring it in. Run a bus through it and back, and just add some fatness/sweetness to some channels...

Is it bad idea?
if you're only using it on some sounds and not the whole mix, you can get away with much cheaper kit than the machines i mentioned earlier, i was suggesting those for mastering the entire mix.
infact you can try all sorts of inexpensive ways to fatten things up as long as its for individual sounds or on a buss.

behringer do some really cheap valve gear;
TUBE COMPOSER T1952
TUBE ULTRA-Q T1951

http://www.behringer.co.uk/02_products/ ... m?lang=ENG

tape saturation is good like others have said.
i often run a guitar tube distortion pedal on a buss to fatten things up, infact just experiment with things you can maybe borrow from mates etc, before going out and buying kit.

i dont understand the mastering engineer argument, we've been through that on a number of threads before, i can safely say that out of all of my mates who make EDM, not one of them has ever sent anything to a mastering engineer, other than the obvious situation where your tune is being mastered for vinyl and you dont have any choice.
everyone i know wants control over their own sound in their own studio.
and i agree with wtf, i dont have much faith in them, and yes they are more likely to use software themselves these days. the last time i had a record cut, i had to insist to the engineer that he used his £7000 manley and avalon processors rather than the software he was about to use.

i dont want to dissmiss anyones advice , but running sounds through a DJ mixer isnt going to have much effect, and unless its a sweet sounding mixer like an allen&heath, it'll just degrade your sound.

analogue filters are awesome at fattening things up, you can put a VA synth through a moogerfooger LP filter, with the filter wide open and it will make it sound analogue, and you've got the added advantage of being able to filter your sound. i run two of my 8 busses permenantly through moog filters, anything thin sounding goes straight through them. instant fattness.
http://moogmusic.com/moogerfooger/
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ArhiteK »

yes, i thought of moogerfooger, but way to expensive. Behringer stuff i can get for just above 100EUR.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

steevio wrote: if you're only using it on some sounds and not the whole mix, you can get away with much cheaper kit than the machines i mentioned earlier, i was suggesting those for mastering the entire mix.
infact you can try all sorts of inexpensive ways to fatten things up as long as its for individual sounds or on a buss.

behringer do some really cheap valve gear;
TUBE COMPOSER T1952
TUBE ULTRA-Q T1951

http://www.behringer.co.uk/02_products/ ... m?lang=ENG
oof, you do realize the behringer valve untis are just starved plate designs, yes? FWIW, so are the korg emx and esx's.

not that you cant dirty up the sound to some sort of satisfaction, but these are not real deal tubes.
freeeeeee
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ArhiteK »

I've read somewhere on the net (think it is harmony central) that guys are changing the tubes for some better ones, and they get far better results with it...

And I know that those tubes in behringer are just some sort of preamp, not real tube comp. But again, if it can make decent result, for this kind of money it can be one of steps for perfect sounds.

Did any of You guys had personal encounter with equipment in this priuce range?
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

ArhiteK wrote: Did any of You guys had personal encounter with equipment in this priuce range?
a couple bad experiences before i gave up on searching for such "amazing deals". there's no such thing as a free lunch (applies to everything). if you own a computer, it's mostly a waste of money to try to buy these cheapo audio components. some of the things that have been suggested - moogerfoogers, as well as certain alesis products, and some electrix, sherman - could be interesting, but not mission critical. but, behringer?!?!
maybe ask yourself what <thing> will do that your computer is not doing?
"warm up" your music? riiiiiight. i think "warm up" almost always refers to subtle distortions and emphasis on a certain eq range. computer plug ins deal with distortion and eq quite well.