Warm sounds like Dial Records

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

async wrote:I am intrigued by this (as a dsp nerd). Most of the references I can find to "warmth" refer to Tube distortion. It sounds like "warmth" as an attribute of timbre is usually contrasted with "crisp" ness and/or "cold" ness. Crisp seems to be definable (to me) as sound having broad-band noise frequencies in the 3-20khz range a nice, and a sharp attack and fairly quick decay envelope. I've heard elements of basslines that sound "crisp" when harmonics are present in that range. The noise sort of buzzes. My best guess as to warmth would go along with victor's idea that "warmth" is really just a good harmonic to noise ratio in the low-mid to mid-range frequency range.

I generally found myself wanting warmness out of a low-pass or band-pass filter, so I eventually just went and wrote myself an audio unit that emulates a Moog 4-stage filter (lo / band and hi pass) with a non-linear saturation point at every stage of the filter. I find that hyperbolic-tangent transforms of the signal "warm" the sound up by smoothly squishing noise near the top and bottom of the signal range.

I'm almost done with the filter unit, please mail me at pauley(at)unsaturated(dot)net if you'd like to try the audio unit out when it's ready. :)
fuckin A Ill give it a whirl. Ill email you tomarrow.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

re.vise wrote:Must be a final-mastering thing. Some sort of compression and equalizing.. Also the Mindshake records sound alike because of the great mastering from Xavier... Also the Minus records sound so clear... Guess why.. Great mastering.
Its to do with the original sounds within the piece of music and how they were developed at the time, not the mastering.
tdmusic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tdmusic »

Efdemin told me he uses a mixture of software and hardware synths. And is not a fan of Reason. This is just an "I've spoke to Efdemin" post, thinly veiled ;)
khuko
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by khuko »

tdmusic wrote:Efdemin told me he uses a mixture of software and hardware synths. And is not a fan of Reason. This is just an "I've spoke to Efdemin" post, thinly veiled ;)
?
he said that he uses max/msp to a lecture class at redbulmusic academy, it's online...
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

khuko wrote:
tdmusic wrote:Efdemin told me he uses a mixture of software and hardware synths. And is not a fan of Reason. This is just an "I've spoke to Efdemin" post, thinly veiled ;)
?
he said that he uses max/msp to a lecture class at redbulmusic academy, it's online...
Max/msp is software, i think it all matches :lol:
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i heat up the grill and throw down some steaks. warms em right up.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

New Guy wrote:
khuko wrote:
?
I am certain that the map/msp is just a controller?!
khuko
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by khuko »

::BLM:: wrote:
New Guy wrote:
khuko wrote:
?
I am certain that the map/msp is just a controller?!
It depends how you use it...