Fake Producers?

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

AVX23 wrote:
So this is how the music industry tends to work - why then are you so surprised or even insulted by this ?

If you want to be different and produce your own work , like many of us do, then that's fantastic, but don't expect that the industry should even bat an eye at this or change to your formula.

To be honest mate - I'd spend less time worrying about this, and more time on your own projects, it makes no sense to berate other (sucessful) artists or producers on their failings, when you could be making your own successes.
Spending five minutes making a post about it isn't really affecting my day to day life. Im not losing sleep over it.

The reason it bothers me is that alot of these people have such a big pitch about how aesome they are and claim their sound whithout giving proper credit to the person with the REAL talent.

Pop music is pop music but you don't see pop stars claiming they are anything other than popstars or stating how much talent they have because we all know that pop stars don't write their own sh!t and they are just a face for the product.

The thing I always liked about edm is there seems to be less focus on selling stuff with an image and more focus on who has the most talent.
But I guess money is money so hacks without talent can pay people to do the dirty work.

And to those who say having the idea of a track is talent compared to the guy making it for them your crazy. The whole idea of being a producer is being able to transfer your ideas into the song. ANYONE can say "Lets make a bass that goes Whaa whaa wer woomp" But not many can transfer the idea through a synth.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Brian Ffar wrote:it's interesting because this is electronic music, and the trends have been set that artists write and produce their own stuff w/ easily accessible computers and software.

What about a band that has absolutely no clue how to produce or engineer anything. Don't they go into the studio to record, and the producer is usually the creative one that makes the artists' ideas better?

OR, what about an electronic music producer that can't really afford the software, but has a friend who he likes to hang out with, bounce some ideas off of, and then track some stuff out while he/she's there?

Just playing devil's advocate :twisted:

b
I agree with you that you can "Co-Produce" but equal credit should be given to both parties.

Also most bands write their own songs (other than pop bands) The producer, engineer helps them sound better but the artists still know how to play the music and created the song with the instruments.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

its not quite milli vanilli. :roll:
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andei »

wtf wrote:it's just funny how we are setting the bar lower and lower for our performers as the years go on.
so true.
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

For me, the sounds and textures in EDM are usually the most important part of the song, right up there with composition. Melodies are usually simple or even non-existant. To find out that those sounds and textures were created by someone else, I feel a little ripped off.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

Castronova wrote:For me, the sounds and textures in EDM are usually the most important part of the song, right up there with composition. Melodies are usually simple or even non-existant. To find out that those sounds and textures were created by someone else, I feel a little ripped off.
im still learning producing, but seems to me this statement depends on the type of track. if its a track with a very obvious theme or recognizable idea, then its ok. here's an example: the other night me and my friend were drunk and recorded ourselves with my computer microphone tapping silverware, humming a bassline, and mimicking the sounds of hihats, and other stuff. we did each layer one at a time, and then combined them together at the end. with our lack of techy knowledge, is it not ok to take this homemade thing into someone's studio and say "i want a bassline like this" and "a snare like this" and he can provide some sounds for us to bang out on a midi device? all the "producer" is doing is being a recording engineer, he's not writing the song, or the ideas, he's just the technical guy. i would pay money for that service if it exists! i would pay for that just to be able to get my ideas out onto a track or two that sounds clean and professional. i would love to have my own vinyl hanging on my wall. i wouldnt care if it sold 0 copies, i would just do it to have for myself, i would cherish that so much. i work a full time job plus a lot of other things that takes up all my time, i dont have time to learn all this stuff that these established producers have figured out from years of experimentation.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

stevësto wrote:
Castronova wrote:For me, the sounds and textures in EDM are usually the most important part of the song, right up there with composition. Melodies are usually simple or even non-existant. To find out that those sounds and textures were created by someone else, I feel a little ripped off.
im still learning producing, but seems to me this statement depends on the type of track. if its a track with a very obvious theme or recognizable idea, then its ok. here's an example: the other night me and my friend were drunk and recorded ourselves with my computer microphone tapping silverware, humming a bassline, and mimicking the sounds of hihats, and other stuff. we did each layer one at a time, and then combined them together at the end. with our lack of techy knowledge, is it not ok to take this homemade thing into someone's studio and say "i want a bassline like this" and "a snare like this" and he can provide some sounds for us to bang out on a midi device? all the "producer" is doing is being a recording engineer, he's not writing the song, or the ideas, he's just the technical guy. i would pay money for that service if it exists! i would pay for that just to be able to get my ideas out onto a track or two that sounds clean and professional. i would love to have my own vinyl hanging on my wall. i wouldnt care if it sold 0 copies, i would just do it to have for myself, i would cherish that so much. i work a full time job plus a lot of other things that takes up all my time, i dont have time to learn all this stuff that these established producers have figured out from years of experimentation.
I would say that as long as you gave the guy who made it into a song equal credit for the song then there is nothing wrong with that. But in the artist label his name should be right next to yours, not hidden somewhere and unmentioned.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

bah. I understand the frustration behind this kind of fakeness. I did some production for some people and didn't give a damn to be in the shadow. The person had some really cool ideas and didn't know how to do it and didn't had the time to learn how to do it. In the end, we were both happy and had a great time in studio...

Easy down guys, just be aware and stay away from drama. :wink: