why is the machine drum better than the korg esx 1

- ask away
Bareknuckle
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bareknuckle »

Castronova wrote:I just bought the ESX 1 this morning on Ebay.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the MX and SX series?

Basically

ESX is a sampler based music box.
EMX is a synth based music box.
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

Thanks. Glad I instinctively got the ESX.
Drake44444
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Drake44444 »

if you get a Machinedrum UW, you cannot go wrong.

It can do so much, as you can load samples, sequence them, and it has machinedrum capabilities.

Of course its much more expensive, but its an amazing piece of gear. I got one and love it and use it non stop.

It is really great, you can't go wrong with it.
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

Castronova wrote:I just bought the ESX 1 this morning on Ebay.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the MX and SX series?
A handy sample organiser for the esx and a good forum for tips and such

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=17490
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

maybe this is a rant, but

"everyone says the machine drum is better but will not tell me any reasons why"

I feel the same way. I've heard all these mnml people rave about the machinedrum for years now and have never heard any real descriptions of why it's so great. I mean, what is it that it does so well? the samples online are nothing special to me. those sounds (from elektron website or wherever) come out of all sorts of boxes. (you know how people talk about the warmth of the moog filters and sh!t like that) Here are some highlights from this post

"none of which are as good as a Machinedrum ( which I don't own ) "

"havent messed with the MachineDrum, of course it sounds awesome, "

"the ESX is Fun, but the MD is Serious..."

"btw... i have never played on one til i got mine. it is the only real drum machine/ sampler i own. "

"I've used the electribes but not machinedrum, i know from research the machinedrum has far more depth "

"It can do so much, as you can load samples, sequence them, and it has machinedrum capabilities. "

?!?!?! (machinedrum capabilities!) Someone in this post said is sounds like the microtonic. That's what the samples online sound like to me. I believe it sounds better than the microtonic, or people wouldn't pay all that money for them, but no one seems to be able to verbalize what about the machinedrum sounds so hot. I've fiddled with the Jomox boxes. They sound amazing. big, fat, old school analog drum sounds. Many people have said as much on this forum. I have never heard a similarly good description of the machinedrum.
Jack Rock
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jack Rock »

wtf wrote:maybe this is a rant, but

"everyone says the machine drum is better but will not tell me any reasons why"

I feel the same way. I've heard all these mnml people rave about the machinedrum for years now and have never heard any real descriptions of why it's so great. I mean, what is it that it does so well? the samples online are nothing special to me. those sounds (from elektron website or wherever) come out of all sorts of boxes. (you know how people talk about the warmth of the moog filters and sht like that) Here are some highlights from this post

"none of which are as good as a Machinedrum ( which I don't own ) "

"havent messed with the MachineDrum, of course it sounds awesome, "

"the ESX is Fun, but the MD is Serious..."

"btw... i have never played on one til i got mine. it is the only real drum machine/ sampler i own. "

"I've used the electribes but not machinedrum, i know from research the machinedrum has far more depth "

"It can do so much, as you can load samples, sequence them, and it has machinedrum capabilities. "

?!?!?! (machinedrum capabilities!) Someone in this post said is sounds like the microtonic. That's what the samples online sound like to me. I believe it sounds better than the microtonic, or people wouldn't pay all that money for them, but no one seems to be able to verbalize what about the machinedrum sounds so hot. I've fiddled with the Jomox boxes. They sound amazing. big, fat, old school analog drum sounds. Many people have said as much on this forum. I have never heard a similarly good description of the machinedrum.
You're just jealous because you don't have an MD yourself! 8)
http://www.myspace.com/djjackrock
http://www.jackrock.dk
http://soundcloud.com/jack-rock
---
Out now:
Cleymore - "Reel Dance EP (inc. Jack Rock rmx)" - Sui Generiz 09
Jack Rock - "Rendez Vous EP" - Archipel 065
Jack Rock - "Filter Games" - ArtiFarti 007
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

I remember a video a couple years ago of richie hawtin and troy pierce and magda in the back of a tourbus playing with 3 machinedrums. I think that video is the main reason you people lust after this drum machine. Is that true? Or is it the gorgeous, sleek design? :)
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

... its not the box its who's using it. The emx to me is a great box for certain things... like kik drums...

but my room mate just got a new machine drum... its a beast. But different. I think after playing with it a bit the difference is it takes a whole lot more programming to get the sound you want but at the same time you can do a lot of programming to the sound.... its 12 bit and soundz good compared to other digital boxes... but the emx sounds really good too... if you're just starting I'd say emx but if you've been on a few machines then definately the machine drum.... but both boxes are used by quality producers as i have seen them both in top notch studios.