samples sound different in live

- ask away
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

im getting frustrated....

I tried like 5 different programs to record my sound card output, but non of them did actually work :x

I also tried to convert it like AK said, still not that.

Then i tried tweaking it on Battery, but still, I can't get the sound that i want. Also downloaded many other 808 samples but they all don't sound the way they should.

There are so many people using that kind pf kick, so what the hell is going on? :(
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andei »

oh that's a nice kick.
how could you make one like that? i've tried tweaking Drumatic and Microtonic but couldn't quite get that sound.

edit: hey pretty weird. i tried loading it up in impulse and it sounds ok (i don't hear much difference with the webpage) but if i just put it in a audio track as a regular sample, it sounds completely different (unwarped and all). with no attack, completely muddy.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

waldorf attack is the best for classic drum sounds....

Or just use a synth....
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

SHAP wrote:im getting frustrated....

I tried like 5 different programs to record my sound card output, but non of them did actually work :x

Then i tried tweaking it on Battery, but still, I can't get the sound that i want. Also downloaded many other 808 samples but they all don't sound the way they should.

There are so many people using that kind pf kick, so what the hell is going on? :(
Without knowing your soundcard and the program you were trying to use to record, I have no clue as to why that was.

But the kick sounding the way it does when played from that site is how these types of kicks sound after being rendered to a lower quality MP3, it's the transient getting messed about with and if you were able to record it, you'd see that there's a little 'thwip' before the initital attack of the kick. Why it happens I don't know but it's just an artifact from the conversion procedure. If you used say an 808 kick and rendered the finished track to a low quality MP3, yours would sound the same.

If you wanted to make a kick sound like that, bouncing to MP3 and back to wav definitely does work, I know this for a fact and you end up running into sequencing problems anyway. The 'thwip' before the kick transient means it has a bit of space at the beginning of the sample, meaning you have to place the kick by hand, it will be way off if you snap it to grid.

Anyway, I recorded that kick direct from the site for you, here: http://www.mediafire.com/?2wjbd085gg5
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

AK wrote:
SHAP wrote:im getting frustrated....

Without knowing your soundcard and the program you were trying to use to record, I have no clue as to why that was.

But the kick sounding the way it does when played from that site is how these types of kicks sound after being rendered to a lower quality MP3, it's the transient getting messed about with and if you were able to record it, you'd see that there's a little 'thwip' before the initital attack of the kick. Why it happens I don't know but it's just an artifact from the conversion procedure. If you used say an 808 kick and rendered the finished track to a low quality MP3, yours would sound the same.

If you wanted to make a kick sound like that, bouncing to MP3 and back to wav definitely does work, I know this for a fact and you end up running into sequencing problems anyway. The 'thwip' before the kick transient means it has a bit of space at the beginning of the sample, meaning you have to place the kick by hand, it will be way off if you snap it to grid.

Anyway, I recorded that kick direct from the site for you, here: http://www.mediafire.com/?2wjbd085gg5
Just use track delay instead of placing the sample manually... :wink:
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

hey hey ;)

Well since the site was offline yesterday, i tried and loaded the sample into cubase (im really new to it, thats why i didnt try it so far) and it sounds exectly the way it should.

Also saw the "thwip" you were writing about, AK. Thanks for recording the sample, im gonna try it this evening on live.

Anyway, after exporting an mp3-file, it still sounds different :?
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I wouldnt stress so much about a kick drum...! find another if it isnt right!!!