Does "mnml" include house, or just techno?

- ask away
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Does "mnml" include house, or just techno?

Post by Dusk »

Being relatively new to the board and the term mnml (as distinct from "minimal"), do you take mnml to refer exclusively to techno? I realise the boundaries between "genres" are narrow and often best ignored, but nevertheless I came here to learn more about production at house tempos, between 120 and 125 bpm.

After my first post here Ive now almost finished my first bonafide minimal house track (as stated in that post, Ive produced a wide range of other music until now.) I'd like to think that music of this sort (deep, dubby, 122 bpm) finds a receptive ear here.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

I prefer minimal house over minimal techno in general.....

Minimal house for me has groove, looser beats and more live sounding percs (!), whereas minimal techno seems too 'rigid' and electronic for my liking....

Obviously what i might call house you might call techno, and visa versa, and theres loads of techno tunes i love, i just prefer it a bit more subtle and........................ housey!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

all boundaries are illusion.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I like both, I don't discriminate when it comes to music, life is too short and my taste is too wide.

I lie somewhere in the middle, I like dissonance and a bit of Detroit style chords but I also like the shuffled feel of House. So minimal Tech House for me. :P

Hey Dusk, I am new here too, previously been writing Breakbeat and downtempo ambient type stuff but I actually started out writing Progressive House, seems I came full circle albeit with a few changes.

I think if you keep your mind open and just apply the sounds you like and musical forms you like over grooves that work for you, you can only be on a good thing. Adhering to someone else's idea of genre specifics would only serve to narrow your creative palette. :)
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

As usual, top replies from a clued up mnml clientele. ("clued up mnml clientele" - next track title sorted then.)

Steevio, couldnt agree more but I would argue that if nothing else we have to assocate a rough tempo range with a genre, surely? Put simply I dont enjoy working at 130 pm or higher. Id also agree with MTH that the faster you go, into what you'd call "minimal techno", more rigid quantising seems necessary/appropriate, which lends a broadly more mechanical feel which i personally like less.
Some music:

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

minimal can be a genre in and of itself. Minimal can also apply to (almost?) any genre, electronic or not.

You can have minimal house, techno, electro, breaks, dub, trance, psytrance, etc. Hell, you can even have minimal "rap" - say, The Whisper Song by the Ying Yang brothers (the vocals themself are kinda lame, but I've heard it mixed into a minimal set or two rather effectively)

I'd say something like say, The Field falls into the Minimal Trance category, where Sensient falls into Minimal Psytrance. While they may be rather 'maximual' in comparison to pure minimal, within the constructs of their respective genres they are rather minimal.

However, I'd say on this message board, there seems to be more people into the housier side of things than the techno side, and the other genres just get outright ignored pretty much :P
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

To my understanding the term "minimal house" is a contradiction in itself.

House is something graphic, intense, banging, offensive, even superficial in a way. Minimal music is mostly the opposite of that. Most stuff that is considered "housey" by today's standards doens't sound like hosue to me at all. Perlon records for example. Didn't hear a house record released on Perlon since Markus Nikolai's "Bushes" and that was, erm, 1999?

I don't believe in minimal house. By saying that I don't mean I don't like any music considered (for whatever reason) as being minimal house. I just don't like the term.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

I dont want to get into that circular debate on the validity of genre taxonomy. I'm all for identiying and descibing things, personally (whatever the threat to so-called "genreless" musical crusaders.)

Even if the essence of house is at odds with the abstract CONCEPT of minimalism, to me when a form of house is stripped off its instrumentation, right down to the bare minimum required to make people dance, then axiomatically - it's minimal house.
Some music:

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk