Minimal - 4 on the Floor = ???

- open
lordkook
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Minimal - 4 on the Floor = ???

Post by lordkook »

Been thinking about this for a while, and it just struck me that you all are probably the best people to ask.

I love almost everything about minimal. I love the shuffle, I love the sounds, I love the cleanliness of production and the way the parts interact. I love the weirdness of it. What I'm getting tired of, through, is the 4 on the floor with the off-beat hihat. Sure, at 1am after a few drinks I'll still dance my ass off to it, but as a listener sometimes I wish producers would occasionally eschew the 4 on the floor and mix it up a little. I've heard hardly anything like this, and I'm hoping some of you have and can recommend some artists / tracks to me.

What I'm looking for is all the delicious aspects of danceable minimal with a broken beat. I'm not looking for IDM. I'm looking for tracks I can spin, so stuff thats tied up in a fully mixed "concept LP" (like some of Lorin of Bassnectar fame) isn't especially helpful unless theres an unmixed counterpart. I don't think I'm looking for dubstep, either, but if there's examples in any genre, please do let me know.

A decent example of what I'm talking about is "Ghost Floppy" by Michal Ho, or "Exit the Laugh" by Kilowatts.

Thanks in advance. I hope this stimulates some conversation.
Last edited by lordkook on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

ric y martin - froebel 1792 maybe :)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
lordkook
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lordkook »

[quote="Robot Criminal"]ric y martin - froebel 1792 maybe :)[/quote]

If it's this :

http://www.plong.com/page_pid_81_artist ... ang_2.aspx

then that sounds pretty four on the floor still :o
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Bassnectar and mnml dont mix...
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

luka & lazo: dust no.4 - mo's ferry 027
the 3 original tracks match your description

louderbach: enemy love - underline
some broken beat tracks, and a brilliant LP anyway

pilooski: digital catastrophee - omerta
a little bit on a (french) electro tip, but good rockin tracks which fit in mnml sets

lusine icl: chao ep - mental.ind.records
this might be called idm, but it could still be interesting. a very good ep anyway, if you like it, check more by lusine on ghostly etc. his stuff fits very good with mnmnl, soundwise.
lordkook
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lordkook »

[quote="livecollective"]Bassnectar and mnml dont mix...[/quote]

Obviously. But Lorin has produced some pretty slippy IDM breaks that could almost fall into the realm of the stuff I'm looking for.
lordkook
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lordkook »

[quote="aut.t.n"]luka & lazo: dust no.4 - mo's ferry 027
the 3 original tracks match your description

louderbach: enemy love - underline
some broken beat tracks, and a brilliant LP anyway

pilooski: digital catastrophee - omerta
a little bit on a (french) electro tip, but good rockin tracks which fit in mnml sets

lusine icl: chao ep - mental.ind.records
this might be called idm, but it could still be interesting. a very good ep anyway, if you like it, check more by lusine on ghostly etc. his stuff fits very good with mnmnl, soundwise.[/quote]

Awesome, thanks!

Dust No. 4 and Screenings are great! Rare Error was a little floaty for my taste.

I had completely forgotten about Louderbach until now, and you're right, the whole EP is fantastic. I'm definitely getting it as a listening album. The broken beat tracks are a little subdued / dark for what I usually spin, though.

I wasn't able to find the specific Pilooski you mentioned. I'll look more when I get home.

Lusine I love, and had forgotten I have a few tracks that keep away from strict 4 on the floor. I will revisit them.

Again, thanks!
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

DNCN - Tawp
T++ - Space Pong (especially the intro)
M:I:5 - To Rococo Rot Vs. M:I:5 (and almost anything by M:I:5)
Dettinger - Totentanz
Forcept 1 - FORCEPT1:FR:01:V1

Maybe that's still too 4 to the floor ;)
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.