What constitutes "boring" minimal?

- ask away
Smear
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Smear »

tone-def wrote:isn't a very repetatve track with 3 to 6 elements a little boring? sometimes you need substance.
Well it all comes down to how you define 'substance' i suppose.

For instance this:

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF22551-01-02-02.mp3

is like 6:30 with just a kick and a sine wave, i think it's a geat track but to others it may seem dull.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

Smear wrote:
tone-def wrote:isn't a very repetatve track with 3 to 6 elements a little boring? sometimes you need substance.
Well it all comes down to how you define 'substance' i suppose.
exactly.
i could reference Stars Of The Lid, Terry Riley, or Thomas Köner here, but in the spirit of keeping with more dance-oriented material, i digress.

what made records like M4.5 so great was not only the quality of the sounds, but also that they seemed repetitive to the average listener....except those with patience and an open mind could hear an ever-changing psychedelic landscape. another example: 'Twin Bleebs' has like 3 elements to it, it's just (like all those records) the way the sounds are used between channels, effected, arranged, and the time signatures combinations.....that & Mika made every one of those sounds from scratch.

if you need more than 3-6 elements, it just isn't 'minimal' music anymore.
unless you're using Beatport's definition... :wink:
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I agree, for me there is a time and place for the most minimal of techno but it gets a bit much all night. I find when listening to the most tripped out repetative music i will be enjoying it until i reach a point where i switch off.

Modern minmal is still a lot more stripped back than most other forms of dance music.

How did Akufen get classed as minimal?
Smear
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Smear »

I haven't heard Stars of the Lid before, looks like it could be quite good. I just got into Eliane Radigue fairly recently, she's a bit of a headbender. Her music does almost nothing over 60 minutes and is still pretty compelling.

I'd thoroughly recommend Mike Parker to you man, it's minimal(not MNML, heh).

http://www.myspace.com/inversions
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

thanks for the tips, i will check them out.... :wink:
chucklechops
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by chucklechops »

I don't know why but I read an interview with Moby in the Daily Hate Mail the other day and he was going on about how he went through this phase of reading and listening to all this obscure stuff cos he thought it made him better than everyone else.

I sort of identified with it cos for years I used to buy and force myself to listen to all this stuff they pushed in the Wire magazine. I have a huge collection of stuff on CD like Panasonic, Oval, Thomas Koner and more obscure stuff on labels like Staalplaat and Touch sitting in a box in my cellar. I tried to be into the stuff like Cage and Boulez and made myself read loads of post-structuralist and po-mo bollocks like Derrida and Lacan cos I thought it was clever. I must have convinced myself I was special because I could see the beauty in a lengthy recording of sine waves going in and out of phase.

Then I just lightened up a bit and discovered house, soulful music in general, going out and smiling and having a good time and wondered why I spent so long listening to boring music and being earnest.
:oops:
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

chucklechops wrote:I don't know why but I read an interview with Moby in the Daily Hate Mail the other day and he was going on about how he went through this phase of reading and listening to all this obscure stuff cos he thought it made him better than everyone else.

I sort of identified with it cos for years I used to buy and force myself to listen to all this stuff they pushed in the Wire magazine. I have a huge collection of stuff on CD like Panasonic, Oval, Thomas Koner and more obscure stuff on labels like Staalplaat and Touch sitting in a box in my cellar. I tried to be into the stuff like Cage and Boulez and made myself read loads of post-structuralist and po-mo bollocks like Derrida and Lacan cos I thought it was clever. I must have convinced myself I was special because I could see the beauty in a lengthy recording of sine waves going in and out of phase.

Then I just lightened up a bit and discovered house, soulful music in general, going out and smiling and having a good time and wondered why I spent so long listening to boring music and being earnest.
:oops:

Isn't that similar to what Ritchie Hawtin reports. When I saw him DJ during the dex, efx, 909 period, he was still this bald/Plastikman. Each time I saw him play in dark rooms, very few light effects, he was quite motionless. This had to be 99/2000'sh. Now I see him, hair all grown out playing more rhythmic stuff (not soo boom-boom-boom-boom) and he's dancing and looks like he's having a great time.

I can relate, I was always a fan of BC/Chain Reaction stuff, but outside of that stuff, I was an IDM snob, if it had too much boom boom boom boom, I turned it off. Now I can hardly stand the snobbish IDM stuff, and I'm all about the 4tothefloor... we gotta lighten up
Smear
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Smear »

Don't get me wrong, it's not about snobbery, i'm not big on reading or anything. I've just always been into sounds/noises rather than songs. If a techno track has some interesting sounds assembled in an ok way, that has more appeal to me than a really nicely arranged and very clever track with sounds that don't interest me so much.

Although i don't dance when i go out and i'm not a very smiley person so i probably tick all the snob boxes anyway, haha.