punchy kicks and lots of swing

- ask away
sines
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sines »

the tricks:

little to no compression on drums [I used to use a 909 + RZ-1 but the new .xtrak material is Battery, Ultrabeat and Impulse].. but I do sometimes let it do some work.. Stereo-bus compression usually boosts the other tones of the tracks, so if you want more dynamics - better to not use such drastic compression techniques.

If you want the Switch / Trevor Loveys / Jesse Rose / etc sound then crank it up.. I am on the fence about it because there's something to be said for hearing peaks and lows vs. full-on intense drums all night long.

parametric EQ your hi-hats + claps to dull the top and brighten the mid-range

MIX using an ANALOGUE MIXING CONSOLE

put kick drums on separate channels from the remainder of the drum sounds

shuffle: I use either the 16th note swing and variations of the 16A-F combinations in Logic

or I program them via MIDI controller and then slide the notes around to make a more exaggerated swing.

People have been complaining for years about the timing in Logic but I think it's not so bad.. I am a fan of ultra-swing where it syncopates with the main synth / bass lines.. best to make them work against each other for a groove then directly on top of each other.

hope this helps.. you can do it all inside of Logic or Live but I seriously recommend hardware:

note the excessive amounts of parametric EQs on the left .. and almost zero compressors ;)

and yes, it grew since then.

+odd[/img]
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

i usually use a lot of 707 type hats sidechained to the kick, with a shitload of swing in ableton and my notes set to 16ths. Adds loadsa groove to tracks, gives it that jacking feeling. anyway on that note, got some tunes on me myspace ive been working on, trying to get that groovy jacking sound, all wip, just not got around to finishing them! http://www.myspace.com/davidgowansmusic
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

nice show todd thanks for sharing! :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Word :)
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

get saving ur money ^^^^^^^^
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

sines wrote:but I seriously recommend hardware:
It's so expensive and the example i gave originally was made using soundforge and fruity loops!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

gowans wrote:i usually use a lot of 707 type hats sidechained to the kick, with a shitload of swing in ableton and my notes set to 16ths. Adds loadsa groove to tracks, gives it that jacking feeling. anyway on that note, got some tunes on me myspace ive been working on, trying to get that groovy jacking sound, all wip, just not got around to finishing them! http://www.myspace.com/davidgowansmusic
nice grooves, only listened on shitty imac speckers but it's sounding good.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

I agree with Mr. Sines, it usually works best to have some instruments swinging more than others. :)
Sometimes for my swing, I use a combination of 1/24 and 1/32 quantize for a "humping" feel. :lol: