Sending demo's

- ask away
ano.phi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ano.phi »

victorgonzales wrote:Im pretty sure there was a thread a while back where a bunch of mixing mastering books were listed.
Yes sir: http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Definitely get Bob Katz V2 of 'Mastering Audio'. The flow of knowledge never stops in that book and there are quite a few parts that make me laugh too. Good sh!t.
www.myspace.com/anosound
www.myspace.com/phisound

communikey.us/festival - Boulder Electronic Music Festival April '08
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Different issue: How seriously can you take the feedback you get from labels, if you get some? I mean there is a lot of bullshitting as no-one wants to piss anyone off.

For example, if i got a mail like this:
thx for sending us your demo and your believing in mobilee.
Your work sounds very professional and there are some nice tracks
with a lot of sense and feelings in it.
Sorry that I cannot offer any new artist for mobilee and it seems that it fits not 100% into the sound of mobilee. But I'm sure you will make your way.

Thx and have a good day

best from berlin

anja schneider
I mean "does not 100% fit the sound of our label is basically just a polite way to say "fck off, we're not interested". Or isn't it? Do they just want to keep me buying Mobilee records or do they actually mean what they say?

Can I give anything on a feedback like that, and what can I do to get some "real", honest feedback?

What feedback did you guys get on a demo, and how did you deal with it? And if you got a label, how do you deal with sending out feedback on demos?
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
Brian Ffar
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brian Ffar »

If we receive an email and it's not addressed directly to one of us, or even the label name, it gets trashed immediately.

My thought is that if someone can't take 5 minutes to research the label, write one of us directly, and tell us a little bit about themselves, and why they would be a good fit with the label, then it doesn't deserve our attention.

As Pheek said, there are SO many demos to go through on a daily basis - it could become a full time job just responding to everyone.
mrgreynoise

Post by mrgreynoise »

Brian Ffar wrote:If we receive an email and it's not addressed directly to one of us, or even the label name, it gets trashed immediately.

My thought is that if someone can't take 5 minutes to research the label, write one of us directly, and tell us a little bit about themselves, and why they would be a good fit with the label, then it doesn't deserve our attention.
That's interesting. I always kept my contacts with labels very terse and succinct, while remaining polite and professional. It was always my feeling that the quality of my tracks should create a response. Truth be told, I've sent so many demos over the past 8 years, I've really tried every style of writing in my emails and contacts. It's a moot point now, as I am now simply starting my own label.

Speaking of mastering though, does anybody here have experience dealing with Nilesh Patel @ The Exchange?
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

Red Kite wrote:Different issue: How seriously can you take the feedback you get from labels, if you get some? I mean there is a lot of bullshitting as no-one wants to piss anyone off.

Sorry that I cannot offer any new artist for mobilee and it seems that it fits not 100% into the sound of mobilee. But I'm sure you will make your way.

Thx and have a good day

best from berlin

anja schneider
I mean "does not 100% fit the sound of our label is basically just a polite way to say "fck off, we're not interested". Or isn't it? Do they just want to keep me buying Mobilee records or do they actually mean what they say?

Can I give anything on a feedback like that, and what can I do to get some "real", honest feedback?

What feedback did you guys get on a demo, and how did you deal with it? And if you got a label, how do you deal with sending out feedback on demos?
Man don't sweat that - that's great feedback and it pretty much means what it says, ie. Your stuff is good and it lives up to its goals but it's not a real fit for the label. Gotta be happy really. I'm pretty sure that if a label isn't feeling it you'll know. Probably through silence. But the one thing I've learnt over all these years that who you send it to means more than what the music is. If you send it to the right people you will have the right outcome.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

Red Kite wrote:Different issue: How seriously can you take the feedback you get from labels, if you get some? I mean there is a lot of bullshitting as no-one wants to piss anyone off.

Thx and have a good day

best from berlin

anja schneider

My guess is that Anja listens to hundreds of new tracks every week. You should be glad she even responded to you! Let alone, nicely.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

jessejames wrote:

Thx and have a good day

best from berlin

anja schneider

My guess is that Anja listens to hundreds of new tracks every week. You should be glad she even responded to you! Let alone, nicely.
its prob just an email template, i might send her a recording of me singing we wish you a merry christmas and see if i get signed... 8)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
jessejames wrote:

Thx and have a good day

best from berlin

anja schneider

its prob just an email template, i might send her a recording of me singing we wish you a merry christmas and see if i get signed... 8)
ugh... honest feedback... well isn't "no, it doesn't fit". Good enough for you?

Email template? come on... who cares anyways. Is your music really better than SeboK?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest