How many dj's fill in the copyright listings?

- open
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

How many dj's fill in the copyright listings?

Post by PsyTox »

I'm just filling in the paperwork for Sabam, so I was actually wondering how many of you guys and girls playing out actually do this. Don't know if it even exists outside belgium, but here you have to fill in a list of the tracks you played, and then Sabam divides the collected copyrights accordingly. Or so they claim :p

The problem is usually that dj's either never get the list from the promotor or on a moment that the dj is drunk/high/od'ing and many of us species are notoriously scared of adminstration... with a result that the rights don't get divided to our favourite artists that we play, but actually to the ones like Titney Spears or "Big Booty" Rihanna.
I think, in the 18+ years that I've dj'ed, I've been handed a list two or three times :?

So, besides the question, this is also a little appeal to all you dj's out there: support your artists and fill in those lists. I bring one myself actually, and I have filled it with the tracks I like, the tracks from our label, from friends like Bokal, Aesthetik, Punk'ID, Heimatmelodie, Donk Boys,... even if you don't play them every night, at least the money will go to the people you like :)
pantycontrol
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pantycontrol »

i have never heard of that over here.
"that sounds like a dog fart a hand clap"
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

I never heard of it either.
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Keagan »

thirding this.
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

This can't be a Belgium-only thing?
Or maybe just Europe.
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

occasionally someone will turn up at a night in england from the PRS and take a note of each track the DJ plays as they play it, basically they sit behind them in the booth and get them to pass them the sleeve as they take them off the turntable, its quite rare though. wish they'd turn up at my gigs, i only play my own stuff so i'd be relatively quids in.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

But that only helps artists and labels who are signed to Sabam, GEMA or any other collecting agency. So again, basically the big guys.

I've never seen any list like that, here in Germany it's basically a standard fare clubs pay to GEMA and they share it however they like.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

i dunno, i dont think its a one off fee of £100 to register to PRS, thats only ,say, 5 minutes on radio 1 and its paid for itself, think its more for TV aswell, if they were to go round getting lists off everyone then the admin costs would surely mean them charging their clients more, i dont tihnk its an unfair system that more airplay equals more royalties if thats what you meant.