Difference between a pretty good producer and a great one

- ask away
Jamal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jamal »

Respect for other musicians , the music. stay professional. Don t pis other people of if the don t know something...or do something wrong..
He will help !!

mm Original
not addicted on drugs or stuff , so he can Concentrate whit full off energy on he d music.... :lol:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Der geile Ami wrote:for me the difference is probably raw talent. Let's not factor taste into the equation. If someone considers one artist pretty good and another great, they already have an affinity for both artists. Both artists can equally develop technical skill, that is hte beauty of electronic music, but only the truly great can come up with ideas that the pretty good would only stumble upon by chance. While hte pretty good artist could certainly have an amazing piece of work by chance, the chances are the results will not be as repeated as one with more raw talent.
i dont see how you can factor out personal taste.

you might think one person is a great producer and another is pretty good, whereas i might think of them the other way round.
surely everything to do with music is down to personal taste.
i dont think you can judge a musicians greatness on their success in the music business, theres too many other factors involved.
some fo the most prolific producers around at the moment dont impress me at all, some of my favourite producers you might not of heard of.
i have some absolute gems of tunes in my record collection which were produced by virtually anonomous musicians.
it depends on how deep you want to dig to find good music.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MarcAshken wrote:i think it all boils down to what is inside you, being true to your sound and expressing that through music. Music is an expression of soul, if you just keep doing what u belive feels right to you, without a care for the thoughts of others or concern as to how much money/sucess etc..... u will gain, then you are a great producer. Everybody has it in them, there is no such thing as talent, its all practice, dedication and love. If you want it bad enough, you'll get it.
x
+1
eryx666
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eryx666 »

MarcAshken wrote:
there is no such thing as talent, its all practice, dedication and love

lol. you must be kidding me, look at this polish kid, he's got only 5 years, and tell me he have no talent...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h59eZzvJu4k

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-AY2FN9yI&feature=related
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

it seems like people are responding to different posts here. I agree everyone has the *potential* for greatness if they focus on positive sh!t and take vitamins or whatever else people said, but at some point it's helpful to define what "great" means, which is going to be different for everyone (but I bet there are some names that would be on a lot of people's lists!!). It is, by definition, not inclusive of everyone out there making music. I just think it would be cool if more producers thought seriously about what they consider *great* music/production and thoughtfully compared themselves to it before they sent demos out or decide they are ready-for-the-big-time.
Last edited by wtf on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

i guess its all subjective bro, I know from my own experience and truely believe that if from the age of 5 if i'd spent 8 hours a day kicking a ball against a wall i'd be ronaldhino today. We all have it in us to achieve whatever we want. Obviously some are better than others but I think this is due to strength of mind and dedication to your goals rather than some god given talent as I think we're all born equal. Like I say tho man, its all down to your own opinion. I can only talk from my experience and thats the conclusion i've come to
x
eryx666
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eryx666 »

you're right, it's all subjective. in my opinion this little guy have an equal talent (like you wrote) X 10. on the other hand i know there is something like antitalent, if someone dedicate his whole time for something and after years he's not even progressing that's a sh!t. my friend have decks for 7 years right now, and he can't even mix 4 tracks in a row... and the thing with good/bad producer is a matter af taste. it depends on a point of view.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

MarcAshken wrote: I think we're all born equal
Have you ever visited a scottish housing estate ? ;)