Minimal Techno

- ask away
brooksmosher
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by brooksmosher »

DJ Klonic wrote:Its not about how you make it, its about what you make.
with this plug in you're not making *anything* because you're just using loops and samples prepared by someone else and their concept of what "minimal" or techno means.

what you're saying is true to an extent. but to me that statement refers more to say, using a CZ-101 and an RZ-1 instead of $20,000 worth of gear to make dope minimal techno. it does not mean you can use a bunch of prepared samples and bullshit presets - there's no creativity in that. just my opinion.
_________

my music

Post by S.D.L »

Keep you're pants on. Just listen to a week of new minimal releases on Beatport and you will listen to sh!t. There's already so much Fruity Loops preset bullshit on the market. You all think this makes things even worse?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

S.D.L wrote:Keep you're pants on. Just listen to a week of new minimal releases on Beatport and you will listen to sht. There's already so much Fruity Loops preset bullshit on the market. You all think this makes things even worse?
its very true... i'm having a hard time finding good new artists too... soo much digging through all the stuff... i find i'm always sticking with like a group of 50 artists and 30 - 40 labels in terms of purchasing. and even those can be inconsistant. really there are only a handful of artists that put out solid material that I'm willing to buy.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Never understood why ppl are so against loops here.
im not saying base your music on these loops, i agree that would be very uncreative. but there are so many ways to use loops that you wont even recognized the loop even if you used it yourself. with noise gate and delay, you most likely wont know its even a loop. it will sound like samples.
for me loops or an instrument like this is for insperation. it will never be the foundation of my track, but i like to believe that as a minimal/techno producer i can use everything and anything in my music. thats the beauty of the genre.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

using premade loops is not part of the craft and takes out all the fun imo. I personally enjoy tweaking a high hat or shaker until it fits my track. very hard to do this with loops and not nearly as cool.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Nearly all 'minimal' relaesed nowdays is wank.

That gaiser sound really grates me... errrggghhhhh...

I still think there is the same number of decent artists around as there has been for 5+ years, just alot more copycatkids and tryhards releasing digital only drizzle on beatport..

My personal interpretation of 'minimal' is anything with groove and 'minimal' progression... subtlety is what i like...

So i dont think minimal is dead, its just at the peak of its 'coolness', which spurs on alot of wank releases that sell cos minimals 'underground' and 'cool'....

Its happend to all genres, including techno, and it will contiunue to happen for ever...

Whats important is people resist the temptatins of presets and influence from popular styles, and just keep mouse clicking away....
clinc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

nonsense

Post by clinc »

although it is unfortunate that a few programmers take advantage of a genre of music for marketing exploitation, it shouldn't hinder the style of music that you make personally. I would like to think that when one decides to create a piece of music, one is doing so in the spirit of creating.

Therefore, you should be the one determining what sound you are aiming for.... regardless of whether or not it contains elements of a particular genre or sub genre.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Torque wrote:. This is a sign that the music has become too predictable for it's own good.

I would think listening to 80 percent of the tracks on beatport would be enough.

I swear if I hear one more hollow cowbell melody Im gonna puke.