yalo - take my hand and don´t let go | a first try on minima

- music
yalo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

yalo - take my hand and don´t let go | a first try on minima

Post by yalo »

hi guys,

couldn´t sleep last night because this song kept me awake.. i don´t think its finished, but after listening to it all night i can´t keep a neutral ear on it, so i´d be glad if some of you maybe could give some comments and advice.
thx in advance :D

http://www.yalo.de/minimal1-003.mp3

yalo

[edit: new version]
[url]http://www.Yalo-Take_My_Hand_And_Dont_Let_Go.mp3[/url]
Last edited by yalo on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ec50
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ec50 »

hey yalo -
all in all - sounds ok - you make other stuff? electro-ey housey stuff? (as you state this is your first "try at minima")

as for this track - first of all - it isn't 'minimal' is it..: the beat structure - the atmosphere, the balance etc

your beat section is very 'plain' to the point it gets annoying (don't mean to be harsh - but you asked for comments). your synth is a nice noise - but also needs work...

my advice would be to listen to some minimal and chekc out what people do with their kicks snares hats claps etc. where are they placed... you will learn a lot from this -

also pay attention to eq-ing - make sure the levels are balanced between different samples and synths - keep it 'mimimal'

try and copy something (someone else's track..) and see where you end up yourself - will def. be interesting and useful practice

practice (and good listening) makes perfect

all the best!

(one more tip: for more response also try and check out some of the other forum users tracks and give them some feedback... ;)
"Half maximal effective concentration"

www.ecfifty.com
www.myspace.com/ec50
www.soundcloud.com/ec50
yalo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yalo »

thanks for the help ec50. no i played in an indie rock band and made some acoustic songwriter stuff alone. now the turn to electronic, but my "songs" mostly go into the electronica direction à la morr.

okay, i think there´s a difference between "real" minimal like maybe paul kalkbrenner and dominik eulberg and pseudo-minimal like trentemoeller, james holden etc., alex smoke should be somewhere in the middle. surely i´d like to sound more like the latter. so what would you call that? just modern techno?
but i will surely pick up your advice and get some inspiration for what to do with the beat and the percussion. deeply effect-enhanced klicks and klacks could sound great to this.

what do you mean with keeping a balance between the samples? no instrument too much in the foreground or not too much things at the same time? always keep the beat dominant and the other things more subtle for minimal?
:D
yalo
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

Minimal is not a genre. It´s a style. You can do minimal techno, minimal house, minimal japanese folk music :D
I dont think its about how many elements you really use, but how many elements you can hear by listening. This whol "minimal" wave dosen´t even have to be minimal- it´s just about this "minimal feeling".
try and copy something (someone else's track..) and see where you end up yourself - will def. be interesting and useful practice
Used to do it alot...and i still do it. A good way to learn. But don´t copy too much ;) try taking inspiration from many tracks at once, so that you copy one element from one track and another one from a different track.
yalo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yalo »

I spent some more nights over the song.. okay, in the end it´s not really minimal.. don´t know exactly what it is, some kind of electro/techno mixture or maybe you can tell me better.
hope you like it and.. hope the next song gets more minimal than this. my cpu will thank me ;)
[url]http://www.Yalo-Take_My_Hand_And_Dont_Let_Go.mp3[/url]

yalo