why are posts being so rude

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I try not to snap at people occasionally I will link someone to the mnml vst if they are asking how to imitate a big producer or something but if it is a technical question and not a :how can i sound just like this guy" question I ussually share some knowledge if I have it.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

S.D.L wrote:
chucklechops wrote: So maybe some of the regulars might have a look at some of their recent posts and ask themselves if they're actually contributing anything or just scanning the posts for another opportunity to affirm their superiority. Maybe then you could take a break from posting and use the time to reflect on the fact that you were once clueless yourself and that you had to rely on the good grace of others to rescue you from that state.
Well said!
haha... good grace? LoL... i have rarely gotten good grace from producers. The reality is that there is already so much information here about production, all you need to use is the search and type in a key word. synth, compression. The next reality is that there is google! omg... i never thought to use that either... haha

well... instead you get people that are looking for minimal techniques, this forum comes up on google. they register and ask a silly question like... how do i get minimal drums!?!? (without even bothering to search, because the question has been brought up time and time again)

Seriously, what kind of question is that? minimal drums!? They must be making a really funny joke...

If you really want to succeeded as a producer you will have to dig and dig. Asking for an easy handout is not going to sit well with me and many of these other people. I've been doing this for a long time now and when I started, I didn't know anything. I didn't even know what 4/4 time signature actually meant. I mean seriously, I wrote at least 20 - 30 tracks that were in some sort of borked signature... like 7/9 or something like that. I was so ignorant, I didn't even know about midi or cubase! haha... All i had was a tracker and some samples i had ripped from other songs and I a manual. To get on the internet i had to go to a terminal at the university, so information wasn't accessible at all... there was netscape 1.0!!! haha.

All i knew is that I wanted to make this music and I was going to use every means that I had to do it. And that passion still sits with me today.

My point is that many of these questions are very basic and sound like they are coming from a point of somebody that doesn't even know what a sequencer is... but times have changed since I started writing tracks. There is a wealth of information and its all very very very accessible. So asking questions here is no excuse for lazyness.

For the longest time i was looking how to get robert hoods sounds... I've searched all around the internet, I've experimented for years and was never able to really even find out what was in his studio. I even posed the question here:
http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16925

I'm really surprised i didn't get ripped on... I've posted lots of dumb questions... but at the same time, i'm also looking for information and trying to post useful information that others will be able to use.

Why not even do some google searches and post some good information that other people can use!? I absolutely love it when people contribute to the forum in this way.

here is a great example:

subtractive synthesis

At the end of the day there is some fantastic information here, i think mods are a fantastic contributer to the amount of knowledge here... you just have to get passed that first stage of producing to learn what terms to look for.

I just wish I had this knowledge available when I first started writing.

I really think its fair to even give some of these noobs a hard time about producing... break them in a little bit.... haha. :D :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

hydrogen wrote:
S.D.L wrote:
chucklechops wrote: So maybe some of the regulars might have a look at some of their recent posts and ask themselves if they're actually contributing anything or just scanning the posts for another opportunity to affirm their superiority. Maybe then you could take a break from posting and use the time to reflect on the fact that you were once clueless yourself and that you had to rely on the good grace of others to rescue you from that state.
Well said!

Seriously, what kind of question is that? minimal drums!? They must be making a really funny joke...
Maybe the person in question isn't as good in telling what he/she really wants to know as you.. Not everybody is from the states you know.

The topic is about respecting other people. If you think somebody is asking a dumb question (is there such a thing) don't say anything.
subscan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: why are posts being so rude

Post by subscan »

I completely agree on this also. I am an absolute beginner when it comes to producing yet I refrain from asking questions in fear of being laughed at/flamed.[/quote]

Thats how I feel too!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

S.D.L wrote:The topic is about respecting other people. If you think somebody is asking a dumb question (is there such a thing) don't say anything.
True... but at the same time some of these that are asking questions are not respecting the mass amount of information posted to this board. A majority of these questions have already been answered.

I think this topic is stickied in case anybody forgot to read it:

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18333

Its very simple thing to follow.

I think many of the people that come off as rude actually offer truly fantastic advice.

here are a quality example...
Robot Criminal wrote:you propably didn't search teh manual, but...
Also, this would be a great way to start your post in case you wanted to avoid getting the boobie beat down.
micronink wrote:Not sure if this has already been posted or not, didn't run across anything in the search..
I can see the language barriers that exist and I can see that being a premiere issue with requesting the information you want. This can be even the case for beginners. But I really don't see why people are expecting their music to sound like richie hawtin or minilogue after only a couple weeks or months with some software. its not like some magical thing happens and all the sudden you have fantastic sounds. it doesn't work this way.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
subscan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by subscan »

About the sound..that is true you do have to find it
(I have just learnt this :D )
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

hydrogen wrote:
S.D.L wrote:The topic is about respecting other people. If you think somebody is asking a dumb question (is there such a thing) don't say anything.
But I really don't see why people are expecting their music to sound like richie hawtin or minilogue after only a couple weeks or months with some software. its not like some magical thing happens and all the sudden you have fantastic sounds. it doesn't work this way.
Where totally on the same page on that one. It's hard god*#@n work! You know that, I know that and a lot of other people know that, but even then respect them and say nothing. Let them find out the hard way! :twisted:

btw: how's that eq8 working out for you?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Jesus..... People need to quit whining

Artists are hard to deal with and that's a fact. It takes a certain type of person to sit there and one day think to himself i have something to say and i think the world should hear it. In order to do that you have to be brave beyond the ability of most humans.

Why do people think that just because you come out and say something or ask something everybody has to be nice to you and spare your feelings. People need to toughen up because on the other side of that recording you're about to make there are a sh!t load more people that are going to sit there and judge it. Learn to deal with it and you'll be better off for it.

Not asking a stupid question for fear of ridicule is weakness. Why in the world should it matter to you what anybody else thinks of your question? The only thing you should bee looking for is the answer to it. Knowledge is not politics. This isn't a popularity game. Your only pursuit should be to gain knowledge on how to make your craft better. Any person on this board will form their judgment based upon your message in the end, not the questions you ask.

So if you ask a question how do i make MNML.... and you get laughed at there is knowledge to be gained from that alone. Even minimal producers have figured out that it's counter productive to put your music into a metaphorical box.

If you feel that your not being taken seriously with your questions maybe you should question what your motive was for asking it before you question what their motive is for flaming it.

There are haters everywhere in life and you will have to fight them more and more as you get better and better. The trick is to look for truth even in the responses you don't like. You should search for the responses you don't like and draw knowledge from that. I can tell you from experience that the guy who agrees with you the most is probably the guy you should listen to the least.

If your looking for people to stroke your ego all the time then you have a problem that goes beyond anything that music can cure for you and you should go and seek balance in your life. If you all are looking to improve as a community together you should be as critical of yourself and your music as the person is next to you.