mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kahl_s »

try layering
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

One way to get this sound is to think about what a 'dub chord' is.

Listen to old dub records, and see how it was originally done, then take it a step further (If you wish).

Most old dub records were made by a band, so a lot of the sounds are clipped guitar chords and sticatto piano chords through a tape delay and or reverb.

My 1st attempts to make that particular sound were therefore using a nice yamaha electric piano and recording it through a broken old reverb and a line 6 echo pod (which models things like the space echo and more oldschool tape delays also). I also got a guitarist friend to play some melancholic chords and recorded them through an original space echo, a real fender rhodes through a space echo is something to behold BTW :).

This is a good start to get a really nice series of 'authentic' dub chord and recording it rather then synthesizing it gives it a lovely sound, and it's nice to make music in that way - eg: actually recording things and all the nuances that go with it ! Sadly - the guy I sued to work with on that now lives in new zealand, so I'm constantly recycling sounds from those sessions.

I've always found that using synths or plugins to make this sound always leaves me with a sound which is too thick for my own purposes, but I've heard others do it really well (steevio and euterke for example).

So It all depends on what you are going for really, the only time I've ever really managed to get anything to sound nice from a synthesized point of view has been to use an ms2000r and setup an appropriate patch, which takes ages and can be hit or miss unless you are a synthesis wizard and then apply tape delay, filtering (with enough modulation to keep it fluid as if it's breathing) and reverb,l I've found that even with a lot of tweaking most software synths just don't deliver the sound I'm after, but that's more because I like it to sound a little bit broken and out of phase. :)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Korg Legacy Polysix is good at these due to the chord memory button. It makes chords sound like sampled chords, actually, it's probably better suited to tech stab chords that dub type as the sound is often sharp and clean.
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

dub for the mass (:
http://www.vimeo.com/860391
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Storlon wrote:dub for the mass (:
http://www.vimeo.com/860391
Thats pretty ill.......
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

try some min7, min9, min7/9 etc.etc.etc. chords

filter envelope.. layer it with a crackle sample. bounce it if you like and put some delays/verbs on it. Im not really a sound designer. I dont really have the patient for it. Im more a sample slaughter.... Pick a sample and rape it
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

what about lounge lizard...?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:what about lounge lizard...?
Never tried that myself, can it sound NOT like an EP and more synthy?