Beatport increases quality control, cuts labels

- open
:regi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by :regi »

anyway 300$ in 3 months is not a lot of money. :roll: 50 tracks for month..
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

:regi wrote:anyway 300$ in 3 months is not a lot of money. :roll: 50 tracks for month..
Well, I'm sure it will cut some labels for sure.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

patrick bateman wrote:
:regi wrote:anyway 300$ in 3 months is not a lot of money. :roll: 50 tracks for month..
You sound a bit nervous Patrick :D
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

there's so much complete and total junk on beatport lately its unreal. i sit on it for a good portion of the day and go through tons and tons of tracks, and out of the 200 - 300 i listen to a day, i maybe, on a good day, add five tracks to my cart.

that's pathetic.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Celltek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
You sound a bit nervous Patrick :D
Nope, not at all.
I see it as a good thing actually.
Of course it can be a problem to some smaller labels, but really, if they can't sell for 600$ in half a year, well, maybe they shouldn't be doing it...
I don't know. Beatport is just flooded with new labels every week... so..
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

element.8 wrote:there's so much complete and total junk on beatport lately its unreal. i sit on it for a good portion of the day and go through tons and tons of tracks, and out of the 200 - 300 i listen to a day, i maybe, on a good day, add five tracks to my cart.

that's pathetic.
You're doing better than me. I'm lucky to add one track a week now.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Honestly, I'm learning now about the mark to get to remain on Beatport and I thought it would be more than 300$. I mean, most of the EP/LP we release hits that mark, this means, for ONE RELEASE. So I think if you can't make that in one quarter, there might be something to adjust (ei. maybe you're not selling your music to the right people).

I think this follows the curve of digital sales evolving. All those other smaller shops I work with who bring me about 10$ quarterly, it's really hard for them. So if some labels can't get on Beatport, they will be on other shops and will advertise more for them. As we always say, competition is a good thing for the market. It might make prices drop at Beatport for instance.

There's also a critical work for shops on making some quality control too. I hope this is something Beatport will look into next.

Anyway, I know why some people are worried. I had some thoughts about that but I think there's really good points to this. :idea:
Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

Hmmm, guess it depends on what beatport sees as "quality". I think it's a step in the right direction though.