laptops for producing

- ask away
LetsGoOutside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by LetsGoOutside »

Minimiser wrote:why not a powerbook? You get a secondhand powerbook G4 for +-600 a 700 euro. I think that is worth the money.
because you can get a brand new laptop that is three times as powerful for the same price. no apple logo, though. ;)
thump
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thump »

i posted a response like this on a thread like this on the ableton forum, and i got no reply...i'm really interested to know if anyone is using an alienware laptop ("mobile workstations" they call them, for a reason)...i've got an alienware desktop, which i absolutely love, and their mobiles look absolutely fucking fierce. of course, if you build it up proper it's actually going to cost as much or more than a g4 laptop, but they look pretty damn powerful - maybe even moreso than a g4, although i'm not making any claims.

http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_P ... KU-DEFAULT

my own curiosity aside, i would definitely say that alienware has impressed me as a company, so i can recommend them, if not their mobiles, firsthand. it sounds like they might be out of your (the thread starter's) price range, but i think that if you want a really stable laptop that uses parts throughout (not just processor and ram) that are going to rival a powerbook, you're going to end up spending a pretty penny.

regards,

charles
daemon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by daemon »

Think this machine is an animal but you said it yourself its a mobile desktop
how long will your batteries last ??? like an half hour

and how about the noise and heat ?? i ve had a p4 laptop and wasnt real happy with it for these two reasons

Thats not my idea of having a laptop, i want a combination of power and something you can work on longer then an hour on batteries ....

some of the testresults i ve seen i would go for a centrino 2gig (2mb cache)
anytime over a p4

thx for the tip though one hell of a machine it is :D
thump
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thump »

daemon wrote:Think this machine is an animal but you said it yourself its a mobile desktop
how long will your batteries last ??? like an half hour
yeah, i don't know. i bet you're right; that thing must draw pretty heavy. personally, i've never used laptops as go-anywhere computers, but more like a setup i can move from outlet to outlet easier than a desktop. :)
daemon wrote:and how about the noise and heat ?? i ve had a p4 laptop and wasnt real happy with it for these two reasons

i hadn't thought much about that. i'd like to think that alienware would do it up proper, and have it pretty well shielded and ventillated, but the truth is i have no idea. i really want to find someone who's using one of these for live performance and hear what they have to say about it!
LetsGoOutside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by LetsGoOutside »

i've played with alienware's laptops a few ties. yeah -- hot and heavy, but there's seemingly no end to what you can throw at them. ran reaktor, kontact, absynth 3, and korg legacy inside fl studio, with live open in the background, and never went over 60% cpu!
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

well, I wouldn't buy a laptop with a desktop P4 processor... for heat reasons, and everything that goest with it (you need more cooling power, which means more fans, which means more volume is occupied, and more parts can break etc etc)... if you wanna go with a pentium, you really need a P4M (M is for mobile)!
Zsa Zsa
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zsa Zsa »

leecurtiss wrote:i just bought a sony viao and i absolutely love it. 3.2 gig pentium 4 processor 512 ram and it flies. if you're looking for performance do not get a centrino, look for a pentium 4. the centrinos are good but they are set up to conserve battery life not all out speed and performance. i use ableton and almost every other program you can think of and my laptop runs smoother than i imagined it would no matter what i have open.
I have the same top, and I have to concur. Running FS / Ableton -- It's a solid piece.
"Upon the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our arses." .. Michel de Montaigne
Cans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cans »

I'll have to disagree with anyone supporting the Sony Vaio. Sony uses cheap hardware and use strange configurations for hardware/software integrations. For anyone who JUST got one, I'd consider canning it before it craps out live. I am speaking from my experiences and for others who I personally know who've experienced horrible problems with the unstable architecture. Once the warranty is up, so is the full functionality.

I know everyone hates to hear this but Macs are more often stable AND perform better by FAR anyway. Why not get one!?