how many is too many? label owners this ones for you.

- ask away
robert lowell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

how many is too many? label owners this ones for you.

Post by robert lowell »

i am in the process of getting my act together to send out demos. whats a good amount of songs for a demo cd?
Cans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cans »

2 or 3 of the gold
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

as many as possible..tracks should be at 6 minutes.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I'm A&R at Submerge Recordings and have listened to tons of demos.
There is no set number that is right. You could send a 100 track demo and have all of them be sh!t and you wouldn't be signed. You could send a 3 track demo that is amazing and get a call. It's all about quality not quantity. Send only the very, very best of your material and save the rest for when they ask you for more.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Torque wrote:I'm A&R at Submerge Recordings and have listened to tons of demos.
There is no set number that is right. You could send a 100 track demo and have all of them be sh!t and you wouldn't be signed. You could send a 3 track demo that is amazing and get a call. It's all about quality not quantity. Send only the very, very best of your material and save the rest for when they ask you for more.
That might be true, but if an artist sends you 30 tracks at one time, then it's a bit much to listen to. It's easier and takes less time to go through 5-10 tracks, and quickly give a feedback on that..
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Yeah it would be quicker but i'v always taken the time to give a listen to every track.
It's usually worth it
New TRUE talent is alot more rare than people think it is. There are alot of people that are in the mid-ranges when it comes to talent but it's very, very rare to come across a true honest to god undeniable talent that can do more than just merely compete on the market.

The game is so tight right now money wise with everybody that i would literally suggest that people not send a demo out unless they truely think they are as good as the very best because most labels won't take the time to risk money on something that's not a sure thing.

At the company i work for the standards are extremely high because they look for 4 year exclusive deals and that is alot of time to invest in 1 artist, but if you can compete in the submerge camp then you are one of the best. If you're not when you come in then you will be before you leave.
robert lowell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by robert lowell »

thanks. everyones input has been helpful.