Alesis M1 Active MkII Monitors

- ask away
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zoiberg »

try covering one of the bass reflex ports, or moving the speakers away from walls.
dzan
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dzan »

Zoiberg wrote:try covering one of the bass reflex ports, or moving the speakers away from walls.
..yes, the monitors are near the wall but I can't place it somewhere else.

But what exactly do you mean with "bass reflex ports"? If you mean subwoofer, I don't have one.
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

he means the hole in front (or back?) of your monitors.

Or: bring them back and buy something else maybe?
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
eryx666
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eryx666 »

i fill them with the socks and they work perfectly 4 me, you must get familiar with them , when you learn them you can do any mix. sorry 4 english :oops:
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zoiberg »

Don't expect any monitors to be a true reference if the room acoustic is flawed.

Most of the times moving the speakers and listening position around the room will reveal you the "sweet spot" where bass is perfect - i.e. in my room there's only one place where I can get full, solid bass (and I have speakers with plenty of lows).

Don't bring the alesis back yet, try them farter from the walls.
ec50
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ec50 »

hey all - maybe someone can help me with this one

i work on mackie hr 824's - and im curious to find out if the 'sweet spot' is a loong way away from them.

admittedly - i sit too close to them when working - i know the wavelength of the bass is longer than the rest and there should be some distance between the monitors and your ears - due to space constraints this is the way i have to do it.

So i make a point of stepping back once in a while - however when i get up and walk to the other end of the room up against the wall - this is where i hear most bass....? which point should i be using as reference ?? as you walk back you have different 'spots' which one is the sweet one... theres a considerable difference between spots - not sure if the spot by the wall is maybe just polluted because its bouncing of it.

any thoughts/knowledge??
"Half maximal effective concentration"

www.ecfifty.com
www.myspace.com/ec50
www.soundcloud.com/ec50
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zoiberg »

ec50 wrote:So i make a point of stepping back once in a while - however when i get up and walk to the other end of the room up against the wall - this is where i hear most bass....? which point should i be using as reference ?? as you walk back you have different 'spots' which one is the sweet one... theres a considerable difference between spots - not sure if the spot by the wall is maybe just polluted because its bouncing of it.
I had the same problem in my room - bass is only present close to one of the walls.
I would try the spot with the most bass, if you get too much lows your mixes will be bass light and you will notice.
dzan
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dzan »

eryx666 wrote:i fill them with the socks and they work perfectly 4 me..
I've tried this. The low frequencies sound better, much better. Thanks for that crazy tip. :) But.. isn't it maybe bad for the monitors?

Back to the "sweet spot": I've made a shot of my room (corner).
As you can see there're not many possibilities to place it somewhere else. Can't get them farer from the wall..