Mastering Tips/Info?

- ask away
ano.phi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Mastering Tips/Info?

Post by ano.phi »

Does anyone have any recommendations of literature for learning about mastering? Any recommended software/VST's? Any good books with information on compressors and how they work? Thanks in advance.
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ArhiteK »

Books would be interesting...

I can recommend iZotope Ozone VST or AU for mastering. And there is excellent tutorila for mastering on Ozone, but You can use it with most other plugins as well. Look for OzoneMateringGuide, You will find it on net. It really helped me a lot.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

give up on mastering. its not possible.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ksandvik »

ArhiteK wrote:Books would be interesting...

I can recommend iZotope Ozone VST or AU for mastering. And there is excellent tutorila for mastering on Ozone, but You can use it with most other plugins as well. Look for OzoneMateringGuide, You will find it on net. It really helped me a lot.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html

Recommended reading about mastering, even if you are not going to use Ozone. --Kent
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ksandvik »

ArhiteK wrote:Books would be interesting...

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html

Recommended reading about mastering, even if you are not going to use Ozone. --Kent
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

give up on mastering, it is for us (almost) impossible

I mean mastering is NOT putting a limiter in the masterbux and browsing a couple of presets, really.

go back to your track, see that you can get every sound at its best and spend enough time with the mixdown
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

sorgenkind wrote:give up on mastering, it is for us (almost) impossible

I mean mastering is NOT putting a limiter in the masterbux and browsing a couple of presets, really.

go back to your track, see that you can get every sound at its best and spend enough time with the mixdown
+1
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sorgenkind wrote:give up on mastering, it is for us (almost) impossible

i can only half agree, i'd say 'giving up' shouldnt come into your vocabulary.
to have knowledge about mastering, whether you can do it or not, can only help you when building your tunes.
its good advice to direct your energy to the mixdown, but by being aware of the mastering process, you can avoid many of the mistakes beginners make which have to be corrected later by the mastering engineer.
dont 'give up' on knowledge.
early next year i'm starting an on-line analogue mastering service, i'm in the process of upgrading my studio to professional equipment status, so if anyone is interested in having their digital mixes fattened and warmed up with pro tube EQs and compressors, get in touch (sorry for the blag guys),
it will be inexpensive, and i'll send a short mastered clip back so you can decide whether you're happy before paying. (details later)