- open
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Music distribution in Future

Post by nubianmindz »

http://testindustries.typepad.com/test/ ... front.html

Quote from aforementioned article:

'Maybe now is the time to stop relying on third-party distributors to promote and sell releases and to deal with online and real life shops directly, to sell releases from their own websites, or for a group of small labels to form collectives along the lines of Holland’s Clone or Spain’s Net28, linked to a store with an online presence. The future might be full of uncertainties for electronic music’s availability in all formats, maybe more so now that Amato has gone, but the most important lesson to learn from this episode is that it’s time for independent labels to take control.'

I like that idea of a collective of labels/musicians/dj's/promoters & such forming networks to help one another,using one anothers resources,contacts,ideas & stuff to help push the music without relying solely on a big distribution company to do all that for ya and then be left in the lurch,completely fucked over when they go bust.

I've seen a couple ppl start to put this idea into operation and I think it could be a huge success as long as ppl put the effort in and put the music 1st.

What do you guys think?
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

i've been thinking this for a long while
big distributors are wrecking the market right not, they're the ones pulling the strings and the music is suffering from that big time!

the future for vinyl distribution is definitely small scale, and distributors like clone or rushhour are the examples to follow

labels should get together and organize distribution for themselves
divide and conquer
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Music distribution in Future

Post by smith »

nubianmindz wrote:I like that idea of a collective of labels/musicians/dj's/promoters & such forming networks to help one another,using one anothers resources,contacts,ideas & stuff to help push the music without relying solely on a big distribution company to do all that for ya and then be left in the lurch,completely fucked over when they go bust.
What a great idea! Lets call these collectives "netlabels".. I'm sure the idea will catch on.

:P
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

dsat wrote:i've been thinking this for a long while
big distributors are wrecking the market right not, they're the ones pulling the strings and the music is suffering from that big time!

the future for vinyl distribution is definitely small scale, and distributors like clone or rushhour are the examples to follow

labels should get together and organize distribution for themselves
divide and conquer
I agree. It would be great to have f.e. a collective of 10 labels max and distribute directly to the shops on their own. Now you depend on huge distri's and it's actually the distri who often imposes it's will on you.

BUT!

On the other hand, a lot of shops only buy from 1 or 2 distributors and don't even look to the catalogue of others. There's still a pretty big amateuristic way of dealing with vinyl sales and it's hard to get your vinyl in as many shops as possible. And especially for such a small distri company, I imagine it would even get harder.

Even when you get distributed by a big distributor... personally I think vinyl has finally surpassed its date of freshness sort of speak, we as a label already sell more digital then vinyl so I expect this to evolve only further. We already know we lose money on vinyl so at one point it'll have to stop... how sad it may be, because it's still lotsa fun to get those freshly pressed vinyls in and see your baby on the shelve of the record store...

Unfortunately, many stores you go to don't carry it because they don't buy at your distributor or they don't buy from their affiliates, or they only carry stuff if they get a promo (or even worse: they just sell your promo and don't bother anymore) ...