are you rhythmically innovative ?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque; you definitely need to bring this subject up in another post.
i appreciate what you're saying and its good to hear you thoughts from a different perspective (US techno distributor) but i think you dont really understand the european perspective because you're isolated from it.
Torque wrote:
Bogdan wrote: The music is slowly becoming more stale out of the US and traditionally europe has taken it cues on the directions to go with electronic music from the US for the last 20 years.
Detroit techno and Chicago house had an influence on electronic music 20 years ago, but i fail to see how the US has shaped european electronic music since then, (i'm not counting trends in HipHop or other commercial music), Most of the forward momentum has come from europe IMO, Germany has had a huge influence, Techno is a way of life there.
Urban UK has been a breeding ground for ideas, things like drum and bass etc.
it's telling that top quality US musicians have had to come to europe because they were virtually anonomous at home.
maybe you're presuming that everywhere is as stale as the US, not so from a european perspective, i've long considered it a waste of time trying to sell techno in america.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

steevio wrote:Torque; you definitely need to bring this subject up in another post.
i appreciate what you're saying and its good to hear you thoughts from a different perspective (US techno distributor) but i think you dont really understand the european perspective because you're isolated from it.
Torque wrote:
Bogdan wrote: The music is slowly becoming more stale out of the US and traditionally europe has taken it cues on the directions to go with electronic music from the US for the last 20 years.
Detroit techno and Chicago house had an influence on electronic music 20 years ago, but i fail to see how the US has shaped european electronic music since then, (i'm not counting trends in HipHop or other commercial music), Most of the forward momentum has come from europe IMO, Germany has had a huge influence, Techno is a way of life there.
Urban UK has been a breeding ground for ideas, things like drum and bass etc.
it's telling that top quality US musicians have had to come to europe because they were virtually anonomous at home.
maybe you're presuming that everywhere is as stale as the US, not so from a european perspective, i've long considered it a waste of time trying to sell techno in america.
+1

at the very least, where are most of the modern tools for electronic music being developed?
freeeeeee
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Youve got Patrick Cowley for example from us who has contributed alot to the modern day electronic music (techno,electro).
Plus the thing is that eg Bob Moog, was located in the Us, and that plays a huge role here.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

New Guy wrote:Youve got Patrick Cowley for example from us who has contributed alot to the modern day electronic music (techno,electro).
Plus the thing is that eg Bob Moog, was located in the Us, and that plays a huge role here.
Dave Smith (one of the people behind midi, and countless synths) is also in the US. There are a couple others, too, and to be fair, a few of them are helping push t4echnological development

Ableton, steinberg, native, nord, clavia, access, doepher, waldorf, novation, emagic (although purchased by apple) are all european. I tihink it is fair that there are more current users with this software and gear than with alesis or emu or... M-audio is US based, but I would never buy any of their stuff..
freeeeeee
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Der geile Ami wrote:
New Guy wrote:Youve got Patrick Cowley for example from us who has contributed alot to the modern day electronic music (techno,electro).
Dave Smith (one of the people behind midi, and countless synths) is also in the US. There are a couple others, too, and to be fair, a few of them are helping push t4echnological development

Ableton, steinberg, native, nord, clavia, access, doepher, waldorf, novation, emagic (although purchased by apple) are all european. I tihink it is fair that there are more current users with this software and gear than with alesis or emu or... M-audio is US based, but I would never buy any of their stuff..
Bob Moog is my hero, i wasnt saying the US hasn't contributed to the electronic music world, i just dont believe european producers really look to the US for inspiration anymore, the purists still look back to what the detroit pioneers were doing 15- 20 years ago, (me included, although i wouldnt call myself a purist) because it was revolutionary, but since then IMO european producers have more than stood up on their own, and created their own niches without american influence.
its easy to ignore them if you dont like the music, but what about trance, psy-trance, trip-hop, london acid techno, drum and bass, 2 step, dub-step, broken beat, rave, hardcore, gabba, micro-house, acid jazz, filtered house .................etc etc. . its all electronic music, and most it has a much bigger audience than techno.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

Der geile Ami wrote:

yeah my studio definitely speaks german a lot:

adam monitors
doepfer midi controller
waldorf synthesizert ( 2x)
ableton live
cubase and wavelab (ok now steinberg is no longer german only,anyway....)

:shock:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

this thread is heading off at a tangent,
i simply questioned this remark ;
Torque wrote: traditionally europe has taken it cues on the directions to go with electronic music from the US for the last 20 years.
because i believe it to be untrue,
while acknowledging our indebtedness to the american musicians who influenced us all and who are near gods in my eyes, i believe europe has lead the way for a long time now in electronic music.
it's history repeating itself, the same thing happened with Blues in the 1960's, the British groups who idolized the african-american blues guys, took it to another place and never looked back. the originators were largely ignored in their own country. back then we idolized John Lee Hooker, BB king, etc, and those guys came to europe and played to huge audiences, now it's Jeff Mills, Derrick May etc.

anyway this is another story, what about rhythm ?
Last edited by steevio on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nubianmindz »

steevio wrote:i'm also looking for people to play at the electronic music festival (freerotation) i'm organising. we did our first one in september, and we're doing 08 in june.
i think we picked a good cross section of innovative musicians for the last one, but it wasnt easy to decided who to put on.
i loved all the music at the festival, and it was a great success.
i dont want you to think i just dont like anything, i just find it hard to locate thats all. i dont have the time to constantly browse the web, i need people to know what we're about, to get a flow of material coming our way.
now this sounds interesting!

will have to get in contact and also send you some music ;)