The CM Guide to Minimal House

- ask away
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ksandvik »

victorgonzales wrote:
Dopplereffekt wrote:I'm going to buy that mag - after making 3 years of minimal house and no record deal. :lol:
Do you send out alot of demos?
Also, get the ball rolling by sending material to various netlabels, or become a netlabel artist, and if nothing else, start your own netlabel, super-easy today, and as easy to start your own commercial label, as well.

Just now we live in a time where the producers could have full control of their material, what they create, and so on. There's still the issue of marketing, but I strongly believe that good products market themselves, no need to flashy GIFS on web sites, or spam mail into your mailboxes. --Kent
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ksandvik »

ksandvik wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:
Dopplereffekt wrote:I'm going to buy that mag - after making 3 years of minimal house and no record deal. :lol:
Also, get the ball rolling by sending material to various netlabels, or become a netlabel artist, and if nothing else, start your own netlabel, super-easy today, and as easy to start your own commercial label, as well.

Just now we live in a very good time where the producers could have full control of their material, what they create, and so on. There's still the issue of marketing, but I strongly believe that good products market themselves, no need to have flashy GIFS on web sites, or spam mail into your mailboxes. --Kent
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i wish if things were so simple.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

ksandvik wrote:Also, get the ball rolling by sending material to various netlabels, or become a netlabel artist, and if nothing else, start your own netlabel, super-easy today, and as easy to start your own commercial label, as well.
thats a prime example of ignoring the problem. if established lables dont want to release your stuff, there probably is a reason. you making your own label will not improve your music.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

s.k. wrote:
ksandvik wrote:Also, get the ball rolling by sending material to various netlabels, or become a netlabel artist, and if nothing else, start your own netlabel, super-easy today, and as easy to start your own commercial label, as well.
thats a prime example of ignoring the problem. if established lables dont want to release your stuff, there probably is a reason. you making your own label will not improve your music.
+1

If you send to a bunch of labels and they all turn you down You probably need to improve a bit.
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nubianmindz »

s.k. wrote: if established lables dont want to release your stuff, there probably is a reason. you making your own label will not improve your music.
yes yes yes!!!

agree 100%.
Dopplereffekt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dopplereffekt »

victorgonzales wrote:
It was a little joke. I never send one demo... i just make music because i want to. I have no ambitions or so.
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

"if established lables dont want to release your stuff, there probably is a reason."

not just one, though. There could be dozens or hundreds of reasons why they wouldn't get back to you, let alone offer to release your music. "Established labels" aren't just sitting there waiting for your amazing demos to roll in so they can get your publicity machine rolling. They have their own ideas/personalities/communities. This idea that if you make amazing music and send it to established labels they will *definitely* get back to you with an offer is way off. People are busy with their own sh!t...I believe that getting no reply to your demos doesn't necessarily have anything do with the quality of your music. A number of labels have basically gone on record saying they are wary of releasing music from people they are not friends with - and there's a few good reasons for this. Especially in this age, when sales are so low, a vinyl release is a big deal for a label. People shouldn't feel that it;s their right or something.