are you rhythmically innovative ?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
steevio wrote: personally i use a system i call nodalism, i locate the points of polymeter confluence, or nodes and experiment in these areas, they are mathematically rich in possibilities, sometimes i will delete all the notes of a pattern other than those around nodes, then i might experiment with the phase of the cross-rhythms, which then creates new nodal patterns, conversely i might create space at some nodes and accent others, the possibilities are endless.
hello steevio, thanks for all the words you're added to this thread thus far, but could i possibly ask you to elaborate on this? It sounds interesting, but I can't quite get my head around it. What makes a node different to a non-node? And, for example, where are the nodes created by 5/4 against 4/4?

thanking you, mark.
ok mate this probably isnt the place to go into this stuff in detail, anyway these are purely my own techniques, i only mentioned it to illustrate that we dont all make music the same way, we dont all have to stick to the disciplines we mistakenly think we have to, we can experiment.
i think that was the point of this post, it's the antithesis of the Minilogue VST joke. my nodal system came about through experimentation, as soon as i removed the strictures of 4/8/16 grid, i realised there was a whole other universe of possibilities, and so i needed a map, so i started looking for confluences, places where there was less noise and more order.
if you lay out three polyrhythmic loops they will come back to the 'one' in different places. so in your head you are trying to follow them, and its natural to feel the 'one' of the pattern, but your brain always follows the dominant loop, which may be the loudest, or the most pleasing or whatever, and ignores the rest or tries to integrate it within the scheme of the dominant. in the case of techno it will usually be the 4/4, because the track will have been mixed with the previous track which was 4/4, and you are following that scheme in your head.
now at places of confluence, where two patterns come to the 'one' together
your brain makes more sense of whats happening, and therefore sometimes you can almost ignore whats happening in between, your brain fills in the gaps. but of course you dont always want to fill in the gaps, you might want to take the listener along a thread thats juxtaposed to the dominant scheme for a while or whatever.
this really is a bit too complicated to explain, maybe a visual representation would be easier, but thats beyond me i'm afraid.
the simplest way to try it, is to run simple 4/4 and 3/4 loops together which is really common in music, at 12 beats (3 bars) you have a node if they start in phase. if you have three different loops starting out of phase, then it's infinitely more complex, you will have nodes between each pair of loops, and more important nodes where all three coincide etc.
this is why most of my tunes have major events happening at non-regular places like 15 or 21 bars or whatever.
this is why i cant work to a rigid 4/8/16 scheme. it totally depends on the tune for me, if a tune demands a strong 4/4 scheme, then so be it, i've got nothing against 4/4, i just dont want to be restricted by it thats all.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Kilevox wrote:
I like that "POLYRHYTHMIC" thing you talk.
If I have understood some posts right here, some people says that polyrhythmic destroys the groove or whatever.

Some years ago, I was sending a lot of DEMOS to a big/famous minimal/techno/house label in Germany.

The labelboss called me and we talked about my tracks.
He gave me advices what could be better or not!!!

Some of you won't believe that, but he said :
" You have to work more with polyrhythm"
i think this was the whole point of my post, i just dont understand what exactly it is about polyrhythm that scares people so much, and why some people think it makes music hard to dance to, because i believe the exact opposite, it makes music better to dance to !!
it's always been an integral part of all forms of dance music to a greater or lesser extent since the beginning of time.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote: ok mate this probably isnt the place to go into this stuff in detail, anyway these are purely my own techniques, i only mentioned it to illustrate that we dont all make music the same way, we dont all have to stick to the disciplines we mistakenly think we have to, we can experiment.
i think that was the point of this post, it's the antithesis of the Minilogue VST joke. my nodal system came about through experimentation, as soon as i removed the strictures of 4/8/16 grid, i realised there was a whole other universe of possibilities, and so i needed a map, so i started looking for confluences, places where there was less noise and more order.
if you lay out three polyrhythmic loops they will come back to the 'one' in different places. so in your head you are trying to follow them, and its natural to feel the 'one' of the pattern, but your brain always follows the dominant loop, which may be the loudest, or the most pleasing or whatever, and ignores the rest or tries to integrate it within the scheme of the dominant. in the case of techno it will usually be the 4/4, because the track will have been mixed with the previous track which was 4/4, and you are following that scheme in your head.
now at places of confluence, where two patterns come to the 'one' together
your brain makes more sense of whats happening, and therefore sometimes you can almost ignore whats happening in between, your brain fills in the gaps. but of course you dont always want to fill in the gaps, you might want to take the listener along a thread thats juxtaposed to the dominant scheme for a while or whatever.
this really is a bit too complicated to explain, maybe a visual representation would be easier, but thats beyond me i'm afraid.
the simplest way to try it, is to run simple 4/4 and 3/4 loops together which is really common in music, at 12 beats (3 bars) you have a node if they start in phase. if you have three different loops starting out of phase, then it's infinitely more complex, you will have nodes between each pair of loops, and more important nodes where all three coincide etc.
this is why most of my tunes have major events happening at non-regular places like 15 or 21 bars or whatever.
this is why i cant work to a rigid 4/8/16 scheme. it totally depends on the tune for me, if a tune demands a strong 4/4 scheme, then so be it, i've got nothing against 4/4, i just dont want to be restricted by it thats all.
ah i understand where you're coming from you now, thanks.
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

Torque wrote:the more i read these topics the more i'm starting to think that the producers are a bit too eager to fall in line with allot of others just to get in good with that particular group and that can't be a good thing. The thing that bothers me is that everybody seems pretty eager to find out how to justify what they are doing by finding a name for it and this is dangerous to the music because once you label something you do you've already put it into a mental box and once you do you will always gravitate towards what you know.

You start to operate on instinct alone and all of the sudden knowing what to call the technique you use become allot less important and the name of the genre becomes less important as well.
The whole genre thing is really bad for a producer.. and today it has come to a tacitly fight for the supremacy of one genre that its almost close to racism. The electronic genre defines the group and if you are part of other genre, then you are not equal.. both biologically and intellectual.
And all of these are business/commercial orientated.. because when you are thinking from this point.. you need to have people organised in groups, subgroups, genres, styles etc.. this way you have more control. For example look at this phenomenon with "minimal". This thing was pushed so far that now people think its actually a genre.. and they are starting to think that they can correlate the word "minimal" with certain sounds.
And most producers seem to think in a matter in which they are always "scared" to experiment with their music and their way of making new sounds. We all see people on this board who comment on different releases: "err all of these sound the same" "its becoming more and more boring to me" etc.

Recently i watched a movie. Its called "Das Leben der Anderen" or "The lives of others". They are talking about the artist condition on a time when being an artist was really hard. You're being watched all the time.. they can prohibit your work.. censor it etc. So as an artist, in that time, you really cannot express yourself freely.
So now, in our time, you also cannot express yourself freely, but not because somebody will censor or prohibit you.. but because the industry is made in such a way that you can't do it 100% as you want it, you always have to go on "their" way.. and not cross very much the borders of the genre, style, etc
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Bogdan wrote: And most producers seem to think in a matter in which they are always "scared" to experiment with their music and their way of making new sounds. We all see people on this board who comment on different releases: "err all of these sound the same" "its becoming more and more boring to me" etc.

Recently i watched a movie. Its called "Das Leben der Anderen" or "The lives of others". They are talking about the artist condition on a time when being an artist was really hard. You're being watched all the time.. they can prohibit your work.. censor it etc. So as an artist, in that time, you really cannot express yourself freely.
So now, in our time, you also cannot express yourself freely, but not because somebody will censor or prohibit you.. but because the industry is made in such a way that you can't do it 100% as you want it, you always have to go on "their" way.. and not cross very much the borders of the genre, style, etc
I agree with you in a sense but i have a more optimistic outlook.
We are in a transition period in the music buisness itself where the ones making the rules are not the labels anymore. What i see happening is that the distributor is taking over. Distributors are starting to tell labels what to release. The problem with this is that a distributor has so much music to deal with that they are slow to react in a market shift. This is why things have become like they are. The main culprit of why it turned out this way is Watts distribution.
When Watts went bankrupt they fucked over a ton of labels here in the US. They messed up Submerge so bad we almost went under as well but mike ended up saving it because of some drastic measures. Funny enough the rumor of the straw that broke Watts back was actually some minimal records. Watts i guess at one point towards the end bought a sh!t-ton of records from Kompakt because sombody there thought it was the trend, what ended up happening is that the records didn't sell and because of that money was leaving faster than it was coming in resulting in the collapse. Now Watts was a huge one for techno in the US, they bought from everybody and did a great job getting the stuff out there. There were allot of labels that ended up depending on them so much that when they went down the label did too and all the product that watts had from all those labels that hadn't gotten thier check back stayed at watts and nobody got paid.
What has happened in the wake of Watts collapsing is that some smaller distributors have come into fill the vacuum and these guys do not have the excess money it takes to allow for anything experimental where they don't know if it will sell or not so they've just been playing it super safe. The results of this are what we see right now. The music is slowly becoming more stale out of the US and traditionally europe has taken it cues on the directions to go with electronic music from the US for the last 20 years. This is a domino effect we're seeing. People are trying to combat this naturally by making all of their music digital and the main place that distributes digitally right now is beatport. Beatport has such a crowd that goes there from the beginning that is into minimal and all the other stuff that's not ends up there ends up becoming more obscure in the wake of that. The result is that more people are making minimal so they can have a chance to compete but what these new producers and labels don't realise is that the top dogs in minmal have already been created and there isn't enough of a fan base for electronic music to justify having that many labels and artists all in the same sub-genre, there just isn't enough cash flow in the industry to support it, which is resulting in a lack of progression in this music.
This is a problem that will naturally work itself out but in the mean time the rest of us just have to stick in there and wait.
The only solution i see is that there needs to be somebody in the US that is willing to jump in there and become a big distributor on the scale of Watts except with a buisness plan that includes digital distribution as well to grab a wider market but remains with a small enough staff that they can move quickly on to create new trends. This is going to take time though. To help it along we are going to need artists that are brave enough to produce outside of the box so when the right time comes there will be enough difference in product to drive competition again and make this sh!t exciting like it was. The only market that has been strong enough to not be that effeced by this has been Japan but in order for this to really chage Europe will need to snap out of it as well.
This isn't hopeless, it's just going to take patience and some fresh ears and in order to get fresh ears we are going to need some variety for the djs, because what dj in their right mind would want to sound like the dj that went up before them and after them.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Torque wrote:
Bogdan wrote: because what dj in their right mind would want to sound like the dj that went up before them and after them.
LOL You havent been to arizona have you. We have a thousand djs here playing that all sound the same. Thats why you don't see many big names coming out of here. There are about five djs in our scene that mildly stand out from the rest. I think this may contribute to the problem with music. It may not be like this everywhere but the djs play whats trendy. They all sound the same and they are content with that. Therefore the companies they are buying from push for more of the same sound.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque; i think you should start a new post on the subject of distribution.
i've got a lot to say on this subject but its way off topic.

i'm even more optimistic, i believe in word of mouth. the future lies in selling or giving away your music directly from source.
i personally dont look to the US for anything at all, other than the friends i've made there directly through music.
what happens in the US, has no real effect on musicians in Wales
i hope the future of our music doesnt depend on distributors, my labels have outlived 4 distributor collapses, most of them disappearing owing me money, i've lost master plates forever etc.
my current distributor Kompakt is the only one i've ever felt comfortable with, they're cool in my book.
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

Torque wrote: I agree with you in a sense but i have a more optimistic outlook.
I have a optimistic outlook also but more for the niche part of the story.. not the overall process. I know there are some really good and open minded people out there.. and also labels who distribute music on their own.