Ableton Live P.A.

- ask away
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

WYRL wrote:'now what was my hotmail password again?' http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L06cavnyM ... re=related :shock:
This extract is the perfect of exemple of those busy not busy live set. It seems and look there's a lot they control but it also feels like they're not changing anything besides fx. Not sure how much they control.

Doesnt really matter anyway. They're giving out a good show and are fun to watch :)
Not my cup of tea...

this kind of music is really big here in montreal. :?
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

well atleast we see how he got them muscles
signatures suck
WYRL
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by WYRL »

I think Ticon and there friends minilogue (Son Kite) Have always been trying to push the envelope of playing there stuff live and very vocal about what they think that is.I do agree that practice and energy are the key to injecting soul into a performance aswell as the abilty to change things and improvise on the fly without a 'safty net'
In the end I would feel dissapointed and want my money back if somthing was taged as being live and it turned out to be someone hiting the play button! I've got no problem accepting any format for dj'ng but it really should'nt be promoted as a live set either.
The cool thing is there are so many styles and ways for artists to accomplish somthing really unique playing out!The people that are giving live electronic music a bad name might also be great producers in wich case they should have taste to stick to producing and making us great music in the studio.
"only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue" NOMEANSNO

http://soundcloud.com/wyrl
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by intellijel »

I constantly compare someone playing live (especially a single person with a laptop) to someone playing guitar. Even the worst guitar player still has to have some technical skill, look at the audience and play a volatile and dynamic instrument on which it is difficult to take breaks or mask mistakes. There is also a clear cause and effect which is extremely important for engaging the audience as a performer.

imho it doesn't matter how complex the live setup is, if you don't have tactile, logical controls that are the predominant focus of your playing (just like any other traditional instrument) then you will be lost staring at a screen and disengaged from the audience (even if you argue that you are absorbing their "synergy" while you program).

I guess maybe comparing live pa to a musician is unfair...maybe it is more like an orchestra conductor. A conductor may be performing with exaggerated movements and gestures but they all mean something and they help emphasize a performance from the audience perspective.

There is a balance that people are trying to work out: if your set is truly live and you are programming tons of stuff on the fly then there is only so much that you can do in real-time (or in quick enough time). The result is that your set will progress much slower. Some people compensate for this by collaborating and then concentrating on specific aspects like: mixing, drum programming, leads, fx etc. This formula works very well for groups like Cobblestone Jazz but I think it helps that two of the guys are accomplished jazz musicans on their own.

I like Robert Henke's Monodeck II, he closes his laptop screen and just uses the surface to jam out on. I think it has a long way to go but it is still way ahead of what a lot of other people are doing.

When I used to DJ more I used to practice for many hours every day with doubles, fx, and tons of mixer tricks. I really learned to use my mixer and to be able to get as much out of a fairly simple device as possible. I was also very inlfuenced by Cari Lekebusch (one of the most underrated technical DJs) Jeff Mills and other guys who would take minimal tracks and heavily manipulate and mix unlistenable/booring/minimal records into something exciting and alive.

Live PA should have more control options and opportunities than the limitations of a DJ setup. Therefore the live set should be more exciting volatile with a better chance to engage the audience.
Sadly most live sets are a step down from DJing instead.

The word "volatile" is key to me for both Djing or playing live. If I sense that there is a chance that everything could fall apart or it could go somewhere brilliant then it is exciting to see what happens and be a part of it. When I witness the majority of DJs playing incredibly safe sets and very conservative live sets I am bored after 5 minutes! :P
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ksandvik »

I think System 7 is the most live-ish techno/tech house/trance show out there just now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pvZugim ... re=related

I don't know if they move around a lot and so on, but a large part of their music played back is done live with their fingers. --Kent
CullenMono
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by CullenMono »

i like the shape this thread has taken. how much improvisation is actually done during a live set? i love the idea of practicing. i think that is a very important concept to keep in mind as live artists because with practice we become more comfortable with our sounds, structure and the shape of our performance. personally, once i assemble components of a track/set i will always reevaluate the process by jumbling the pieces, juxtaposing one element with the next. since "minimal" isn't always particularly tonal music, it is easy to improvise with ideas interchangeably. how do you practice for a live performance? or do you even practice? do you think practicing will make your performance predictable and sterile? as far as live sequencing goes... are you clicking it in with a mouse or doing live looping and what are the benefits of each? do you consider effects processing/spontaneous manipulation "live"?
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

in my opinion it is all about practicing and getting the "skill" to be able to assemble (very) different parts and play with structures, phrases and rhythms directly on stage.
a live pa shoud be for me a performance similar to those done by painters in contemporary art.
the public should be able to recognize you by your style of treating elements, putting them together and letting them evolve, and not by the elements themselves.
playing out with pre-made scenes and just act with effects ist not a live pa for me