Ableton Live P.A.

- ask away
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

kwality wrote:If an artist has songs that a crowd already enjoys should they be more concerned with constructing each part of that track live, or playing the music people know and enjoy?
this is the difference between live pa and djing.

and watching a performer dj all of his own old tracks is a really boring idea for me. i'd much rather at least see some kind of reinterpretation...something different and new!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

kwality wrote: I'm not quite sure how you figure this to be arrogant - it's simply advice to a fairly vague questions. Should I have said that unless you're creating every track out of individual sounds it's not live? I can accept your opinion, but don't you think worrying about the process more than the music is a little counter productive? If an artist has songs that a crowd already enjoys should they be more concerned with constructing each part of that track live, or playing the music people know and enjoy?
This is exactly what serato and final scratch are for. Plus if these are live pa tracks or fresh off the dubplate press people aren't going to know it anyways.

Live PA has gotten a bad name and its because live pa's appear to be somebody surfing the web with a midi controller and a mouse.

Worrying about the process though? are you kidding me? This will come out via practice. This is also the problem with most live p.a's... the fuckers don't even practice. they bake down their tracks too far and it becomes a fucking point click and fade marathon. I will say that I have enjoyed some point and click/fade masters like pheek... However, the reason is is that his tracks are all broken down way more than anybody that I've ever seen. So the variety and spontaneity that happens was incredible.

However, I will mention this excitment didn't come over me until i could see what he was doing behind the dj booth, then it was like... ohhh... he isn't surfing the web, there is actually a lot of sh!t going on. and it sounds unlike anything i've ever heard before. :)

Try bringing some drum pads and a synth or something come on. Have apart of the live show where you improvise... Show people that you can write and play this music. If you can't do that stick with djing imo...

I think its ok to go from the macro level to micro level... use some completly mixed down tracks... then break it down to loops and live vst, and even break it down to sequencing that stuff live. Move back and forth between this flow to give your self some breathing room.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

hydrogen wrote:I will say that I have enjoyed some point and click/fade masters like pheek... However, the reason is is that his tracks are all broken down way more than anybody that I've ever seen. So the variety and spontaneity that happens was incredible.
Thanks man. I really think there's a lot of room to do a lot more too. Many people play it lazy and one danger is that some will keep in mind to play their tracks as they made them, which brings some rigidity in the process. My live is made that I can't let it go and there's a lot of possibilities I can go to from point X, it all belongs to me, but also to the crowd's mood.

As you pointed, I think people feels the spontaneity much more than we think and when you play with that level of creativity, there will always be a dialog between and the people. That is where, to me, a real live pa starts from.

I also believe a live set has to have a good number of actions from the performer. I have seen many playback acts, enough to discuss me and come back home and work twice as hard to make my set flexible and risky.

Final note, I believe that the DJin' possibility in Ableton is phenomenal and will bring out a more dynamic way to use it instead of just shuffling 2 tracks. I believe it will bring another level of fun to clubs at some point but it's just not happening yet (well, havent seen much of it).
AXS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by AXS »

pheek wrote:
Final note, I believe that the DJin' possibility in Ableton is phenomenal and will bring out a more dynamic way to use it instead of just shuffling 2 tracks. I believe it will bring another level of fun to clubs at some point but it's just not happening yet (well, havent seen much of it).
I believe this too .. Actually I´ve been doing this the last year, combining my own sounds with other labels stuff, and I have to say this is way funnier for me than just using 2 turntables..
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

Good to see it get back to a discussion. I agree that practice is pretty much the key for everything - along with a level of confidence in what your doing that will promote risks and ultimately offer a better show for everyone. After my shaky and small start I've already got bigger ideas, so unless you're a hack you'll always be looking for ways to make your show better.

I once saw Hakon Libdo do a live set and it was brilliant - him playing drums, sampling himself, playing keys, going nuts. No one thought he was checking his email that's for sure!

I think anyone taking the leap from just playing two records in a row should be commended - it would be great if everything was put together live, but as this topic has shown, it's not an easy idea to pin down just yet. I think if the show featured two or more people it could be incredible, and would really generate a live feeling without one person being expected to do everything, do it well, and do it musically.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

well, since you admit that it was a "small" start (and you just started), i don't know if you have any advice worth giving... sorry... not to demean your experience, its only up from there...
WYRL
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by WYRL »

'now what was my hotmail password again?' http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L06cavnyM ... re=related :shock:
"only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue" NOMEANSNO

http://soundcloud.com/wyrl
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

WYRL wrote:'now what was my hotmail password again?' http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L06cavnyM ... re=related :shock:
lmao
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...