how to comepnsate for monitoring a low volumes?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i've had lots of different monitors in lots of different rooms with varied acoustics, but none of them sounded crap, maybe not quite right, or lacking something.
if you get close to them and move your head around, you should be able to find somewhere where they sound reasonable, unless they are just sht monitors, or the acoustics are seriously bad.
otomatix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by otomatix »

Dj360 wrote:for lack of volume i say that you should use this:

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=255
he didn't mean lack of volume in the mix
he is not able to mix at a louder volume because of neighbours.

the l3 multimaximizer kicks ass though
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

thanks for your comments and suggestions.
yes, after reading i tried to move my head around the monitors and there is effectively a place where they sound reasonable, even if they still lack on clearity and some frequencies.
i have to specify that my studio is actually in a room of my appartment. it is an old building with some of the internal walls and the floors made of wood, in the same room i have my double bass and some other acoustic instruments, and i think this could also have an impact on the perception of the sound. the desk with the monitors is placed in a corner of the room, near to 2 doors.
before to think to upgrade to better monitors i will try again to find a better location, and do maybe some basic treatment of the room.
now another question:
i've connected the monitors to the main jack outputs of my mixer, and go to the input of the monitors by cinch.
on the mixer and on the monitors i have also xlr ins and outs, does it make a big difference if i use the xlr connections?
WYRL
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by WYRL »

Wooden floors REALLY mess with your sound and everthing will vibrate in sympathy with the bass.The biggest improvement in your situation would be to get a carpet down.Even some cushions and soft furniture can make a huge diff.As for the outputs on your mixer I'd give the XLR outs a go.On my mixer the RCA outs sound dirty compared to the XLR's
"only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue" NOMEANSNO

http://soundcloud.com/wyrl
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

4am wrote:thanks for your comments and suggestions.
yes, after reading i tried to move my head around the monitors and there is effectively a place where they sound reasonable, even if they still lack on clearity and some frequencies.
i have to specify that my studio is actually in a room of my appartment. it is an old building with some of the internal walls and the floors made of wood, in the same room i have my double bass and some other acoustic instruments, and i think this could also have an impact on the perception of the sound. the desk with the monitors is placed in a corner of the room, near to 2 doors.
before to think to upgrade to better monitors i will try again to find a better location, and do maybe some basic treatment of the room.
now another question:
i've connected the monitors to the main jack outputs of my mixer, and go to the input of the monitors by cinch.
on the mixer and on the monitors i have also xlr ins and outs, does it make a big difference if i use the xlr connections?
You need some rugs and carpet. Gotta cover that wood floor. It will reek havok on your sound.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

WYRL wrote:Wooden floors REALLY mess with your sound and everthing will vibrate in sympathy with the bass.The biggest improvement in your situation would be to get a carpet down.Even some cushions and soft furniture can make a huge diff.As for the outputs on your mixer I'd give the XLR outs a go.On my mixer the RCA outs sound dirty compared to the XLR's
agreed, and get those acoustic instruments out of there.
you need your monitors on the longest free wall slightly away from the wall and not in the corners, get them as close to you as possible.
experiment with your seating and monitor positions till you find the sweet spot.
get as much soft furniture in there as you can stand,
:)
Dj360
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dj360 »

otomatix wrote:
Dj360 wrote:for lack of volume i say that you should use this:

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=255
he didn't mean lack of volume in the mix
he is not able to mix at a louder volume because of neighbours.

the l3 multimaximizer kicks ass though
yeah, my bad, i didn't read well... :oops:
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

ok i will reorganise my studio room:
move the monitors to a better position
put a carpet on the floor
move my acoustic instruments to another room
connect with xlr cables
and see what i can do with some basic room treatment and furniture...ehm... do spanish serrano hams hanging on the roof count? :wink:

ok, now seriously...i did some tests yesterday and the results were encouraging. i'm playing out this week end but next week i will start the building site.
thanks for helping
a.