Beatport

- open
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

PsyTox wrote:import tax on digital files? Sorry, but that's BS, you don't pay import taxes on products that don't physically cross the boarder (or customs).
Last year Beatport stopped billing in USD, claiming that this was to accomodate us Europeans. So, you saw the price of $1.49 change to €1.49. They saw a great way to make an extra buck. A lot of them actually.

These import taxes have nothing to do with it (and I do logistics for a living so I can tell you for sure that no import taxes will set you back 40%). It might be a (bogus) explanation, but it's plain and simple: the Beatport guys making 40% more margin of European sales and somewhat of 80-90% on UK sales.

Want another example?

Go to apple.com and look at the price for an iMac: $1199
Now go to apple.be and look at the price: €1199

Taxes? No, just the same amount, taken from a time two years ago when the euro was about as much worth as the dollar. Nowadays, 1 euro = 1.40 dollar, so... we pay 40% more then the USA for the same product.

Anyway... still cheaper then vinyl :p
If you can sell your record for twice as much in another country because people can afford it, you would do this. Its basic supply and demand. The US is a much bigger market and Apple needs to be competitive, more so than here and will ultimately benefit from the amount of sales the US can generate. In EU the perceived value is 1400,- so why would they settle for less??
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

why settle for less? Because it's just not right that you ask double the price for the same product. The US isn't a bigger market for beatport, is it? Unless techno has all of a sudden become as hugely accepted as over here...

Anyway, I still buy at beatport, but the day I find a store that offers music in dollars and let us europeans pay in dollars, i'm outta beatport and on to green pastures :lol:
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

PsyTox wrote:why settle for less? Because it's just not right that you ask double the price for the same product. The US isn't a bigger market for beatport, is it? Unless techno has all of a sudden become as hugely accepted as over here...

Anyway, I still buy at beatport, but the day I find a store that offers music in dollars and let us europeans pay in dollars, i'm outta beatport and on to green pastures :lol:
Just as long as its not a Russian one :D :D
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Good conversation piece. Yes, Beatport needs a wishlist feature as its becoming one of the main places for peoples music these days.

The Canadian dollar recently passed the US dollar and today its at $1.08 which helps a great deal.

The prices should all be set regardless of your country of origin.
ekwipt wrote:It would be good if you could save your crates in multiple folders and only have to purchase one
This would be great because I used the cart of a wishlist of sorts. You should be able to select the tracks from your wishlist that you want to buy.
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

PsyTox wrote:The US isn't a bigger market for beatport, is it? Unless techno has all of a sudden become as hugely accepted as over here...
For tic tac toe / connect four, US and UK are equal in this 'year to date' sale..
Nordin
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Nordin »

gillsans wrote:The Canadian dollar recently passed the US dollar and today its at $1.08 which helps a great deal.
i live in Vancouver and i'm loving this. :D
Donnchú
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Donnchú »

Right, I don't know what the deal here is with the euro on beatport but I'm in Ireland where we also use the euro and all beatport prices and receipts sent to me are in USD.

So I am paying $1.49 for certain tracks which converts (at the moment) to €1.02 not €1.49.

Seems like the belgians are getting a bad deal
i-am-an-exit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i-am-an-exit »

I'm getting all my tracks in beatport in USD... from anywhere in europe...

I did live in costa rica for a while though and that was when I set up my account with them.. seems like they kept the dollar pricing for me as a result.