are you rhythmically innovative ?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

No, i meant what i said- innovative.

Innovation

1. the act of introducing something new: something newly introduced (The American Heritage Dictionary).
2. the introduction of something new. (Merriam-Webster Online)
3. a new idea, method or device. (Merriam-Webster Online)
4. the successful exploitation of new ideas (Department of Trade and Industry, UK).
5. change that creates a new dimension of performance Peter Drucker (Hesselbein, 2002)
6. the process of making improvements by introducing something new [citation needed]

how did we get from banging rocks together, to beethovens 5th, to drum & Bass, to tibetan nose flute music.
are you seriously asking me to believe that musical innovation ends right here and now ??
i find that a very sad outlook.
lets just agree we see reality from very different perspectives.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I don't see it as a dim outlook on the whole thing i think slapping labels on art like innovative has always been dishonest. If we go by the definitions you posted technicly everything we create is innovation therefor the word has become basicly meaningless when talking about it in this context. This is why i think it should be thrown out of the vocabulary in the case of art because in the end it's just cheapened into nothing better than a marketing term. Call me a nut if you want but i believe in a creator and i believe music is his way of communicating though us to other people and if there are any props to give out for innovation they all belong to the creator not to us.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Torque wrote:I don't see it as a dim outlook on the whole thing i think slapping labels on art like innovative has always been dishonest. If we go by the definitions you posted technicly everything we create is innovation therefor the word has become basicly meaningless when talking about it in this context. This is why i think it should be thrown out of the vocabulary in the case of art because in the end it's just cheapened into nothing better than a marketing term. Call me a nut if you want but i believe in a creator and i believe music is his way of communicating though us to other people and if there are any props to give out for innovation they all belong to the creator not to us.
LOL My music is the devil trying to communicate through me. :twisted:
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Meh, im gonna buy an iphone for christmas for devil, so that he doesnt fucking bother me everytime i try to make music.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:I don't see it as a dim outlook on the whole thing i think slapping labels on art like innovative has always been dishonest. If we go by the definitions you posted technicly everything we create is innovation therefor the word has become basicly meaningless when talking about it in this context. This is why i think it should be thrown out of the vocabulary in the case of art because in the end it's just cheapened into nothing better than a marketing term. Call me a nut if you want but i believe in a creator and i believe music is his way of communicating though us to other people and if there are any props to give out for innovation they all belong to the creator not to us.
seriously, you're not getting the point of my post mate.
i perceive a staleness in our music in the rhythm section, i hear the same patterns over and over, i'm bored with them, i want to hear new structures, i spend most of my studio time experimenting with rhythm, it fascinates me, it's a passion. i always know when something fresh hits me in a club, because i find my body moving in ways it never has before.
for the last year i've been experimenting with 3 and 3/4 bar loops, i'm not even going to try to explain why because it would take too long , but one thing i know for sure is that you dance in a very different way to a 4 bar loop. i've been working with infinite polyrhythmic loops for years, (there is no 2/4/8 etc. there is only the now.) it centers your mind and hypnotizes you at the same time, i'm constantly experimenting with the interaction between mind/rhythm, body/rhythm, because i have the desire and the technological tools available to me.
thoughts of marketing never cross my mind for a nanosecond, nor do i care whether i write a killer tune or not, it's not even on the agenda, i just want to do my thing and communicate with like-minded musicians who feel the same way.

i asked a simple question 'are you rhythmically innovative ?'
a simple 'no' would have sufficed.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

it is also not the right place to ask for this....
this forum is about commercial music.

why don't you join a jazz or free jazz ensemble?
you would find what you are a looking for and much more
and not just rhythmically.... also harmonic and structure related
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

i agree 100% with Torque.

steevio, we understand your question but i think "innovative" is a word too big.
in every case that i know.. the innovation comes by mistake. i mean the real innovation, not just layering some beats in a pattern that you find unique at that moment.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

steevio wrote:dubstep.
that's what i wanted to recommend after 30 seconds into your first post :lol:

sure, there is a lot of generic dubstep now. but there is also some truly magic stuff going on, that melts techno and dubstep together.