mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:
s.k. wrote:
betzy wrote:
s.k. wrote:a little offtopic but not quite. steevio check this ep out,

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/287 ... light=CAJA

it just drums but it kinda feels so good... bought it and i cant stop listening to it,... just wanted to share that.. ok thats all.
maybe its just me, i dont feel anything :?
pff, my favourite kind of releases.

with the digital bullshit going on lately, people seem to have lost the point of what releasing dj vinyls is all about. i repeat - a DJ vinyl. its a tool for fucks sake. its not meant to be a song, or to be listened to at home. this is 100% dj product. it concentrates solely on the sound, and groove. if you're good, you can make wonders with records like this. its not for final scratch users.

victor you're asking where the rest of it is? if you were a vinyl dj you would know. its on another record in your case.
See..
This is the sht that makes me nuts.
Seriosly, fck DJ TOOLS!!!!
This music didn't start out by being a bunch of dj tools on vinyl. It exists because people were making tracks that could be listened to all the way through without becoming boring. DJ tools have caused a ton of damage to electronic music if you ask me. Not only that, a decent dj knows what to do with a record anyways and should have the choice to let it play out without putting anybody to sleep if he wants. The only people IMO who should be able to even fck with dj tools are dj's on the level of a Jeff Mills or a Richie Hawtin because they know what to do with them. Calling something a Dj Tool seems to just be anexcuse for a record sucking. If somebody wanted to call one of my records a dj tool i'd be insulted.
i have to agree with you partially, DJ tools are not my thing either, and i'd be insulted if someone called my track a DJ tool, however if theres people out there who want to play them, and people who want to make them, then who are we to come down on these people.
i also think that theres alot of unknown DJ's out there who are good at that sht, some of them are my friends. Jeff and Richie aren't everybodies cup of tea either, and if they're doing it, why should up and coming DJs not want to emulate them.
i agree that there was a spell in the late 90's where DJ tools began to degrade the techno scene somewhat, but man its a free world.(sort of)
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

s.k. wrote:
betzy wrote:
s.k. wrote:a little offtopic but not quite. steevio check this ep out,

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/287 ... light=CAJA

it just drums but it kinda feels so good... bought it and i cant stop listening to it,... just wanted to share that.. ok thats all.
maybe its just me, i dont feel anything :?
pff, my favourite kind of releases.

with the digital bullshit going on lately, people seem to have lost the point of what releasing dj vinyls is all about. i repeat - a DJ vinyl. its a tool for fucks sake. its not meant to be a song, or to be listened to at home. this is 100% dj product. it concentrates solely on the sound, and groove. if you're good, you can make wonders with records like this. its not for final scratch users.

victor you're asking where the rest of it is? if you were a vinyl dj you would know. its on another record in your case.
I have been a dj for ten years, I have over two thousand vinyl records. I just don't like dj tools much. I try not to leave gaps in my set where they are necessary. Turntablists can do wonders with those things but I never really use them.

I meant where is the rest of it as a joke kinda, It's just hard to be sarcastic on a computer :wink:
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

s.k. wrote:actually to be honest i like the turn things take with this digital thing going on, because this way there are alot less real dj's around, and its easier to rock the club insane and get ppl asking "man how the fck...!"

once again, sorry for offtopic :oops:
haha... so true... i really don't like purchasing tracks with breakdowns for this reason. Nothing worse when everyone is freaking out yelling over a record break. Why not get amped while the mix is happening.

these drums are really nice feeling i like it. thanks for the point on the track
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

steevio, I don't really have much to add, but I completely understand what you're saying. there have been times when I've used polyrhythmic elements in my electronic music, but to be honest I am also a culprit when it comes to truncating them at some point to fit in with a more square structure.

less is the case when working on acoustic chamber music. personally I'm very interested in 5's at the moment... but yes I agree that most techno could be more rhythmically innovative. what tracks I have by tom ellis seem to do what you're after, although haven't you already released some of his music on your label? more people should listen to autechre :)
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

OK before this goes any further somebody needs to define what rhythic innovation would be. People love to throw around the term innovative so liberally around this board i would like to know what would be considered innovation. If you ask me i don't think there has been innovation in music since the first caveman banged on the first rock, the only innovation i think that has happened is the technology used to express it and get what he was really thinking out of his head and into the air. I think at the moment we are at the apex of musical instruments where the only thing left that can possibly improve upon synthesis of sound is a different interface. I can't think of a sound i can't make with my computer. This instument is just the modern equivalent of banging on a rock. All the innovation that was ever done with music was at the birth of music itself. Being different from everybody else doesn't make you innovative it just makes you unique.
Now please define for me what innovation is, because i have a hard time believing that somebody is going to run across a pattern or groove on their drum machine that hasn't been done. All you can do IMO to be interesting is change the sounds and interesting does not = innovation.

Everybody i know that is considered through the history of electronic music to be innovative all say the same thing "It happened by accident" and everytime they tried to be innovative it never worked. Do yourselves a favor and don't jinx yourself and throw the word innovation out of your vocabulary, because if you do innovate that will not be decided by you, it will be done by the lisener. Leave the decision to the crowd and relax......
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Torque wrote:OK before this goes any further somebody needs to define what rhythic innovation would be. People love to throw around the term innovative so liberally around this board i would like to know what would be considered innovation. If you ask me i don't think there has been innovation in music since the first caveman banged on the first rock, the only innovation i think that has happened is the technology used to express it and get what he was really thinking out of his head and into the air. I think at the moment we are at the apex of musical instruments where the only thing left that can possibly improve upon synthesis of sound is a different interface. I can't think of a sound i can't make with my computer. This instument is just the modern equivalent of banging on a rock. All the innovation that was ever done with music was at the birth of music itself. Being different from everybody else doesn't make you innovative it just makes you unique.
Now please define for me what innovation is, because i have a hard time believing that somebody is going to run across a pattern or groove on their drum machine that hasn't been done. All you can do IMO to be interesting is change the sounds and interesting does not = innovation.

Everybody i know that is considered through the history of electronic music to be innovative all say the same thing "It happened by accident" and everytime they tried to be innovative it never worked. Do yourselves a favor and don't jinx yourself and throw the word innovation out of your vocabulary, because if you do innovate that will not be decided by you, it will be done by the lisener. Leave the decision to the crowd and relax......
good point, I guess innovative is the wrong word to use. unique is more correct. The producers that are set apart just find good ways to use sounds that are different. They pretty much all follow the same patterns as far as dance music goes though.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

hey victor sorry man i didnt wanna get offensive and stuff.. i get the joke :) . respect for your vinyl collection and yeah, time for me to leave the thread, i didnt wanna drag attention away from steevio's topic.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

s.k. wrote:hey victor sorry man i didnt wanna get offensive and stuff.. i get the joke :) . respect for your vinyl collection and yeah, time for me to leave the thread, i didnt wanna drag attention away from steevio's topic.
no worries were all friends of a sort on here.