I am lost...

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

New Guy wrote:btw, my vst was minimonsta.
Nice choice... that machine is really nice.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Drake44444
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Drake44444 »

I am really new too, but I have found that starting with simpler synth vsts has helped. Don't jump into massive or zebra or something. Try the simpler ones you so you can learn how to change the sound. And filters and effects help a lot too. Again, I am a beginner as well, but this is just what is helping me.

Lately I have been trying to learn operator (ableton's FM synth) and it has been a challenge in itself~ one is enough.
otomatix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by otomatix »

check out absynth for abstract cinema sounds.
I think you'll like it.
and of course FX handling and automation kills
async
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by async »

it seems like people are really digging on the white noise + filter sweep + reverb.

my advice: consider adding just a tiny amount of reverb to everything except for bass, and remember to eq the hell out of everything after reverb (that is cut out all frequencies you don't want for each track). You have to give your sound space, the cone can only move so far so fast...

Also, geek out! Really geek out. Don't worry about making music sometimes, just make sounds. Get good monitors and go ape sh!t. Pay attention to things like distortion and filters and LFO's and modulation. Then learn about new stuff you don't really understand like FM synthesis and AM synthesis. This is useful even after you start finishing complete pieces.

Now I suck at making music, but I can make some neato sounds sometimes :D
_Mark
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

otomatix wrote:check out absynth for abstract cinema sounds.
I think you'll like it.
and of course FX handling and automation kills
Absynth is one of my favorites for this stuff too. Make sure you are tweaking the effects on it if you try it. The presets are cool but it can do SOOOO much more if you mess with it.
tettezak
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tettezak »

okaythen may I ask what's the name of the track in that sample?
Decepto
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: I am lost...

Post by Decepto »

okaythen wrote:
http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF1256731-02-01-02.mp3

For example, this track, how do you get this cinematic sounds? Is it created by the artist himself with a virtual instrument or it's a sample reworked? I am often very astonished by the details and I always wonder : "Where do they find theses sounds?!" I think you know what I mean.
I'm guessing that this eerie off-key pad came from either Absynth or Reaktor.

And the entire track has reverb applied to it. (A little too much, imo).
puReDLX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by puReDLX »

Hi ... for these bell type sounds you might try out http://www.cycling74.com/products/mode (mode mono and mode poly) vst snyths or any other synth that supports sine waves.

For these ambientish sounds try out http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2308.html. But be warned, this is a real noise machine.

As others sad, you can actually use any versatile synth to create such sounds. I like rob papens albino very much.
Dont try to use the factory presets to much, change/configure all parameters yourself. Alternativly albino has a "random" button which *could* create sounds like that ;)
Add lots of reverb to your sounds (short and long decay) and you're almost there.
myspace.com/marceloelke
Frankfurt - Berlin - Bremen