Post by steevio »

thanx everyone for your advice !!
much appreciated,

peace
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

steevio wrote:i do have bats in the attic above my studio, which sing when i use the sherman filter bank.
That's fantastic and very auspicious.
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sauce wrote:
steevio wrote:i do have bats in the attic above my studio, which sing when i use the sherman filter bank.
That's fantastic and very auspicious.
its very bizarre. when i first got the sherman ( which goes up to 40KHZ ) i was getting these really high almost inaudible whistling sounds, and they kept going after i switched it off. at first i couldnt figure it out, then i realised it was the 700 bats in the loft ! i never hear them at any other time.
and did you know that mice and housemartins (swallow like birds which make nests on the walls of the house) love techno !!
the housemartins moved their 12 or so nests from the front of the house to the side wall where my studio is, when i first put it in there. they'd been on the front of the house for as long as anyone can remember.
and i had a techno mouse who made a nest in my studio out of the padding from my headphones. i caught it in a humane mouse trap and on the advice of someone who knows about these things, drove it in my car 1 kilometer away and released it, but it was back within a week, making a nest in exactly the same place. i caught it 4 times in all, and released it further away each time, i was starting to get real fond of her, but she didnt make it back from 2 kilometers.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

(I've decided to resurrect this thread as opposed to starting a new one..perhaps to simply avoid cries of STFF!).

Anyhow, I was looking into analog filter modules as well. I had a chance to buy an Electro Harmonix Bi-Filter, which looks sweet, at a good price. However, I read a review somewhere that basically said it's really only an envelope filter. I was wondering if anyone has any experience (or knows any better) as to whether it can be used as a normal lowpass/hipass filter, without there being any modulation triggered.

Also, the Frostwave Resonator looks ideal to me as it has a lowpass and hipass filter. The online shop appears to be closed (WarmCola) so I don't know if they are even available anymore. Are there any other resonably priced (sub-$500) analog filter units that have both low and hi-pass filters? No VSTs or expensive (Mutator, Sherman) filters please!
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I've had the moog LP filter on my radar for a while, although I don't own it. I friend of mine said he may have so old school stomp boxes in his garage that I could buy off him.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

I used to run soft synths in my yamaha cs-5. I would also set things up so that playing a key on the keyboard would send a pulse to the CS-5's trigger input to generate enveloppes. I should do that more... the CS-5's filters sound very, very cool for pads and such. There is something about yamaha's old filters... there's a super-cheesy vibe to them that I really like.

I always dreamed of getting six filters, envelope and vca modules... and dedicating a computer to generating the waveforms/voices... that would be for me the ultimate digital/analog hybrid synth. I want this so fucking bad...