5.1 sound!

- open

Do you have a 5.1 surround sound system at home / are you interested in projects of that genre?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:53 am

Yes I have one and love 5.1 DVD projects!
28%
Yes I have one but I'm not into those projects
8%
No I don't have a 5.1 whatever but would like to have one!
36%
No I don't have one of those and am not into those projects
25%
5.1? what's that?
3%

Total votes: 36

jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

^^lol yeah, how can you have 5.1 headphones?
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Go for it! I dont have a 5.1 setup and dont anticipate getting one any time soon, but its a good idea for those interested and capable to blaze the trail. Even mono recordings were at one time nonexistent, let alone stereo. We may look at our times with stereo setups as archaic at some point in the future.

It is true that few fixed sound systems can reproduce in true surround, but for typical big deal PAs, the additional equipment necessary would only be a marginal cost. Most big sound systems have dedicated amp channels for individual points. There are standard speaker processors with 3,4, and even 8 inputs.

Where would would hte 5th and .1 signals physically go to? I like the idea of a vocal channel above the listening audience, perhaps a mono cluster covering the entire area providing hte voice of god. A dedicated subwoofer channel might be unnecessary. They are useful for live audio, clearing up what mud guitars and vocals might add to the mix, as you only get one take to mix, but our music has too many sounds that would sometimes dip down into the nether regions.

However, with any true surround setup, every listener is going to get a different sonic experience, based on dominating point of origin relating to distance from said individual speakers. Perhaps that is the point, but if it is not, be aware of it. Movie theaters do not sound hte same in every seat.

It is still a cool idea to experiment if hte listening environment is just hte studio or living room. If hte idea grows, this would provide an incentive for forward thinking clubs to book artists to utilize such advanced PA designs.
freeeeeee
Monotek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Monotek »

uritotti wrote:
532nm wrote:i only have 5.1 headphones, but a speaker system is high on my list of things i want, but cant currently afford :evil:
How many ears do you have? :roll:
probably 2 of them :)
you can buy 5.1 headphones in every second music shop
Monotek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Monotek »

and about question:
i dont have 5.1 system, but maybe will buy that one day
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

nice 4 teh movies ;)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

thanks guys for the nice words! I think it might the future of where netlabels should explore...

here's a nice inspiration:
http://www.umfeld.tv/
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

pheek wrote:thanks guys for the nice words! I think it might the future of where netlabels should explore...

here's a nice inspiration:
http://www.umfeld.tv/
Jochem Paap.. Speedy-J!! This was yesterday and I missed it
:cry: :cry: :cry:
ao
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ao »

Wow, the Umfeld project looks great, thanks for the link!