The Defintion Of Minimal

- open
PERV
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

The Defintion Of Minimal

Post by PERV »

I often notice how upset people get when the word 'minimal' gets thrown about. It has become a musical swear word, and even gets referred to as the 'm-word'. I always wonder why this is. What do people hate about the word 'minimal'? Are people afraid of the word or do they envy the new crowds that use it?
The answer often seems to be that people don't like they way the word is used to describe a sound that is not really minimalistic in the true sense of the word.

The thing people fail to realise is that although the word hasn't changed, the meaning certainly has. By this I mean the approach to making minimal is different than in the past. Minimal is no longer just a sub-genre of techno, it has now become a genre of it's own - detached you might say. Therefore, it is has done what all music in history has done - evolve. Now not every record currently being made is truly 'minimal' in concept, but it has evolved from the now minimal genre. Agreed, the name may no longer be appropriate, but does this mean it doesn't deserve to be part of a minimal DJ's record collection? Who really cares? Music shouldn't be judged on it's title of genre, but on it's quality. We all know how sub-genre crazy dance music has become, and we shouldn't be worrying about making sure things are in the exact category they should be. I mean does it really make a difference to the actual music?

I have also noticed how new listeners are often described as 'jumping on the bandwagon' because of the music's recent popularity in the club scene. Has it already come to the point that minimal is now over commercialized? Personally, I don't think it has. I think it is integral for all music to be popular at some time or another. So what if there is a load more crappy new records being made, or bedroom DJ's trying to get noticed. Amongst all these new goings on - somewhere along the line there will be music that is innovative and respectful, with fresh new DJ's coming to light which would have normally gone unnoticed. I'm sure many will agree that this is not such a bad thing. In fact I would have to say that change in dance music is nearly always a good thing, and for those who don't like it - your probably in the wrong scene.

I get the feeling that maybe new talent and change makes people envious. They see a new generation of listeners enjoying something which was once theirs to enjoy, but no longer share the enthusiasm as their successors now do. I have seen the same behavior in the past, where people try to change with the natural flow of things but can't really commit. Using that as a reason to disregard and talk down what the music has become.

Music should never become anything more than just music, if it sounds good then what's there to worry about?