Bassline and kick

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

ok im sorry for that previous reply, didnt mean it that way. its hard to explain, they are not exactly in the same frequency range, although they overlap. when you do it right, the kick and bass just 'lock' together. it is best to learn how to do the kick only from sinewaves, so you know exactly what is going on.

dont be fooled though, side-chaining (or eq for that matter) is not magic, and if you dont make the kick and bass right from the start, nothing will help you afterwards. this is the reason threads like this keep popping up constantly. if side-chaining did the trick, everyone would know about it. face it, it doesnt.
perik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by perik »

60Hz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

s.k. wrote:ok im sorry for that previous reply, didnt mean it that way. its hard to explain, they are not exactly in the same frequency range, although they overlap. when you do it right, the kick and bass just 'lock' together. it is best to learn how to do the kick only from sinewaves, so you know exactly what is going on.

dont be fooled though, side-chaining (or eq for that matter) is not magic, and if you dont make the kick and bass right from the start, nothing will help you afterwards. this is the reason threads like this keep popping up constantly. if side-chaining did the trick, everyone would know about it. face it, it doesnt.
Well it's not going to work if you have a huge problem with the bass killing your kick. Buit if there is just the slightest bit than these ideas should work fine. Most producers don't stick with a bassline that sounds absolutely awefull with the kick, just needs a slight adjustment.
D-vinyl
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by D-vinyl »

cheers guys this is all reli helpful. but bear in mind please i use reason :oops:
so some of this sh!t i hav no idea wot ur tlkin about

but cud some1 explain to me the difference between a soloed sidechain and one thats not?
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

if you can't sidechain, then you could use velocity adjustments when writing basslines, if you write them with midi, simply give less velocity to the bassline notes occuring at the same point as the kicks, I did like this before learning to properly sidechain some years ago and, depending on the situation, I sometimes got good results
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

s.k. wrote:dont be fooled though

soooo right, keep in mind there is not a vanilla solution which is always good or good for everyone
vrejulf
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by vrejulf »

sorgenkind wrote:if you can't sidechain, then you could use velocity adjustments when writing basslines, if you write them with midi, simply give less velocity to the bassline notes occuring at the same point as the kicks, I did like this before learning to properly sidechain some years ago and, depending on the situation, I sometimes got good results
it's more easy to use velocity adjustments , but unfortunately it can't get you closer to learning how to sidechain properly .
i guess you can put a beat an a kick together , insert a compressor , then set your treshold low , and raise the ratio
so you can hear them properly separated . this will give you enough compression to observe atack and release times.
ferd
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ferd »

i think im missing something here...

why would you sidechain without compressing?