Richie goes green

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Bogdan wrote:music became a business because of these marketing moves that they are doing.. music wouldn't suppose to be a business!!
when it's your profession and it provides food & shelter..

how could it not be a business...?
vrejulf wrote:.
the man was saying to the entire world he was
having a baby..and that it put him in a situation to really think about the future...
pfff... yeah right !
you dont think having a child makes you think of the future... ? do you have any children of your own..?
vrejulf wrote: excited by his every movement .
I wouldn't say that Im excited.. but can relate to what he says..

certain % pharse marketing.....>I'd agree but I'm happy for (anyone) to do anything they didn't have to do... even it helps just a tiny bit..

our u.s. government has cut most of the spending to save the planet and wild life.. when it comes to our earth... I get excited..
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

when it's your profession and it provides food & shelter..

how could it not be a business...?
you are right on that.. but this thing became so exaggerated and look what happened.. business is first, music and quality is second.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

if richie says vinyl is not good for the environment, then obviously many people will follow him blindly

actually... dj's are bad for the environment, they consume shitloads of jet fuel and car fuel to get to their parties, and now we should be worrying about those poor 500 copies of vinyl put out by people who risk their necks for the love of music... (you know what... a lot of dj's are bad for the music scene all together, because they're after so much cash that they're financially crippling so many people)

of course it's a business thing... what really amazes me is that people here use this as an excuse to support this bullshit

so because it's business, it's alright to be a hypocrite? i don't get it... enlighten me please

keep in mind that digital sales are still considerably linked to minimal techno and.... well... richie hawtin
a lot of house and techno music doesn't sell very well digitally, i think you would be amazed to know what the digital sales are of non-minimal stuff
i mean 'really amazed'

let's sell our cars and never again use plastic!

what about world hunger? what is richie's next move?
eat less so he can save the world from famine... he's not going to lower his fee... that's for sure (but it's business right?)
this is exactly the kind of silliness we're talking about here... i wish some people would realize that... oh well
vrejulf
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by vrejulf »

john clees wrote:
vrejulf wrote:.
the man was saying to the entire world he was
having a baby..and that it put him in a situation to really think about the future...
pfff... yeah right !
you dont think having a child makes you think of the future... ? do you have any children of your own..?
I'm far to young to have a child . anyway , this can't be a rational motivation
to ignite a environmental "campaign" . Not mentioning the fact that it's probably bogus .

now , on the other hand , you were right when you said "even if it helps just a tiny bit " i can't argue on that basis .
regarding the planet .... of course we should do everything in our power to limit our energy consumption level .
That doesn't mean we should make a poll on mnml about how many light-bulbs we are turning off per day .
i was tought since i was 7 years old to recycle my paper,plastic & glass consumption .
we should just do it !

Plus we spoke about his future plans and his hope that his actions will have a greater impact on the electronic music community and the planet at large.
he speaks of the electronic music community , like we occupy the third place in the planetary co2 emission graphics.
the next movement will probably include "green minimize " minus t-shirts at only 5'99 . order 2 of them and you get a coupon on beatport !

the thing i do hate is this :
with the money used on this foolish campaign , web adds , restructuring their website , and the hole abracadabra
put on us they could have bought around 10 solar panels !! enough to feed a kindergarten or a small clinic .
the campaign can be ten times more powerfull , having the support of dj's and venues by donating small amounts per every event .

enough has been said , taking in consideraton that you all know this !
motf_118
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by motf_118 »

i doubt that richie telling people hes doing his little bit for the environment will seriously affect how many records/mp3s he will sell or who turns up for his gigs!
i also dont think its some well thought out plan that he hopes will lead to world domination!
prehaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt... i know it sounds ridiculous, mabey im being stupid but what if he does genuinley care about the environment!?
all i say is good on him!
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

I don't care much for anything he has done lately, so I don't care if he goes mp3, I won't be listening to it. All I'm saying is don't be fooled, It's absolutely a marketing campaign. It's a whole lot cheaper to throw an mp3 together in ableton, than go through the effort of pressing and distributing a record. It's less work as well.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

you gotta admit that this was a pretty thought provoking move from Richie, look how everyone is talking about it :)

Bogdan: i still stand by what i said about music being a business, and i agree with you about the quality is getting worse and it's all mainly business now.
hotpace
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hotpace »

I'm sure he's him and John Acquaviva were the two who dreamt up Beatport in the first place so I'm fairly sure they have a vested interest in it!