how do you create "dark vocals like ambivalent's are yo

- ask away
lsid
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

how do you create "dark vocals like ambivalent's are yo

Post by lsid »

i've been wondering what effect or any other processing do you have to put on a vocal to make it sound so f**ckin creepy and dark?

i definetly dig ambivalent's vocal and let's also not forget abe duque, bearback, BamBam etc..

how's this thing done? anybody please?
bhc303
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bhc303 »

I also am interested in these sounding vocal fx...
I got some cool sounds using a waves diamond plug "ultra pitch 6 voice" routed thru "Camel phat " messing around with the filters, its not quite the same sound though :cry: but you can create some interesting sounds :D
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

no offense guys but i think i speak for most here when i say topics like this, when they directly refer to replicating a specific effect or sound in a certain track, are kinda weak.

think of it this way; by the time you actually figure out how to make this sound, and make a great track featuring it, find a label and sell it on beatport, the said effect is already "tired" and "played out"

so a better strategy with this music might be 'inventing' or using a new effect that only you've heard, because you made it.
just experiment with all the effects you can find, and you'll find that sound and many more.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 58525 »

I think Marc Houle's new "Techno Vocals" tracks is the perfect ending to the low creepy vocals.

That said, there is merit to threads like this, at least for some people. Personally, I find that I learn quite a bit by trying to replicate things others have done. Not to copy what they've done, but in doing so, I learn more of what certain tools can do. For instance, by learning how the vocals are pitched down, you will learn what the tools used to do that effect can do, and how they can be used in other ways.

Besides, who cares if someone wants to just do what everyone else is doing. You don't have to do it too. If you know though, why not share tips?

As to the original question, I've never tried the effect, but to me it just sounds like the vocals being pitched down. I'm sure it also depends on how the vocals are spoken to begin with. In other words, you're not going to turn something happy sounding dark just because you pitched it down.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

I too would like to know what tools are used to pitch vocals.

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Speakerp ... phone.html
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
lsid
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lsid »

it's not only pitching down. it would be too easy. i've tried this before asking. there's much more than this.

as a reply to the "no offense" post upper :) . man, why is there any need for a contradictory post on every gad damn topic? nobody wants to replicate, nobody wants to use exactly the same thing as smb used.
think of it this way; by the time you actually figure out how to make this sound
yes bla bla it is made by another. stragegy about music, inventing. we hear this kind'a shits everywhere dude. tautology. say smth wise or else let the others.

knowledge, debate, curiosity, experiment, respect...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Whats the problem with replicating a sound. You don't have to be creative and cutting edge all the time. Look at fans of rock music. They play other peoples songs on their guitars. What do you think about that? Why can't people who make electronic music make covers of their favourite tunes?

Just don't try and release tracks that sound like everyone else. I would love it if the only music that sounded like M_nus was on M_nus, but that will never happen.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

532nm wrote:no offense guys but i think i speak for most here when i say topics like this, when they directly refer to replicating a specific effect or sound in a certain track, are kinda weak.
+1
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...