mono vs stereo

- ask away
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

SpacyX wrote:
BOKAL RECORDS wrote:you can easyly pan a mono sample, realy no need to have stereo samples of percussion sounds
How on earth are you going to pan a sound that only exists out of one channel ?
You'll need 2 channels to create an unbalanced left - right effect.

About storing the percussion wav/aif files as mono is actually something i didn't think about doing.
Really saves alot i guess.
why wouldn't you be able to pan a sound on a mono channel? the master bus on a mixer is in stereo, remember? ;)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

fredrik_h wrote:
SpacyX wrote:
BOKAL RECORDS wrote:you can easyly pan a mono sample, realy no need to have stereo samples of percussion sounds

About storing the percussion wav/aif files as mono is actually something i didn't think about doing.
why wouldn't you be able to pan a sound on a mono channel? the master bus on a mixer is in stereo, remember? ;)
yeah, but having one mono percussion sample and then paning it...it really doesn't have any sense in my opinion. why not just having it stereo and spread it thru the field withouht the hassle of making two mono channels to achieve sometihng you can do with just one channel. i'm not sure if we are on the same track here. i understand spacyX's point of view tho. then again, i knew to use the fake stereo thingie in the past, cuz the signal is better divided and you have more control over the field.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

plaster wrote:
fredrik_h wrote:
SpacyX wrote:

yeah, but having one mono percussion sample and then paning it...it really doesn't have any sense in my opinion. why not just having it stereo and spread it thru the field withouht the hassle of making two mono channels to achieve sometihng you can do with just one channel. i'm not sure if we are on the same track here. i understand spacyX's point of view tho. then again, i knew to use the fake stereo thingie in the past, cuz the signal is better divided and you have more control over the field.
if I understand codecks, he suggets colliding the stereo sample into one mono sample, not 2 mono files. and then only using a mono channel strip.
and the only "advantage" of keeping mono is that the volume will be constant when panning it as far as I know, and sure - it's a bit smaller but... come on, 2007. ;)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

alright.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by codecks »

I think there's a lot of confusion going around here. Back to the basics :). The main purpose of stereo is to create a more natural impression of the perceived sound. Take an acoustic concert with no pa as example. You have different instruments, all spread over the stage. What makes you able to distinguish the different locations of the instruments on the stage (even when you close your eyes) are your ears, and the fact that you have 2 of them. Each ear perceives a very slightly different sound (from the guitar for example) over time and our brain calculates where that sound comes from. Now, to preserve the place of the instruments on a record and have a more natural listening experience, you need to make a stereo record. Indeed, by using the 2 speakers the different instruments can be virtually replaced on the stage by spreading the different instruments over the stereo field. Each speaker reproducing all the instruments, but at different levels... and timings (very short timings tough, but enough for our ears to make the difference)

That being said,

When I want to capture an instrument, (a guitar, a percussion,...) is there a need to capture/store those in stereo ? I consider those as a single sources. So I think there's no need for me to have stereo information at this point. Only later, when I create a song, then I will place each single source in the stereo field of my song. So, according to all what I have said, I think that stereo only matters on a song level, but not on a sample level.

PS: I also did run some tests on mono samples and stereo samples (same data on both channels) and didn't notice any difference when applying panning to it in my sequencer. The volumes where the same, panning behaved the same, being it a mono or a stereo sample.
minimal my ass !
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

with guitars, try using it as two mono signals and pan one sharp lest and the other sharp right. this creates a huuge stereo feel.
at least thats how i do it.
:lol:
SpacyX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SpacyX »

codecks wrote:I think there's a lot of confusion going around here. Back to the basics :). The main purpose of stereo is to create a more natural impression of the perceived sound. Take an acoustic concert with no pa as example. You have different instruments, all spread over the stage. What makes you able to distinguish the different locations of the instruments on the stage (even when you close your eyes) are your ears, and the fact that you have 2 of them. Each ear perceives a very slightly different sound (from the guitar for example) over time and our brain calculates where that sound comes from. Now, to preserve the place of the instruments on a record and have a more natural listening experience, you need to make a stereo record. Indeed, by using the 2 speakers the different instruments can be virtually replaced on the stage by spreading the different instruments over the stereo field. Each speaker reproducing all the instruments, but at different levels... and timings (very short timings tough, but enough for our ears to make the difference)

That being said,

When I want to capture an instrument, (a guitar, a percussion,...) is there a need to capture/store those in stereo ? I consider those as a single sources. So I think there's no need for me to have stereo information at this point. Only later, when I create a song, then I will place each single source in the stereo field of my song. So, according to all what I have said, I think that stereo only matters on a song level, but not on a sample level.

PS: I also did run some tests on mono samples and stereo samples (same data on both channels) and didn't notice any difference when applying panning to it in my sequencer. The volumes where the same, panning behaved the same, being it a mono or a stereo sample.

I agree on this one !
i978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i978 »

SpacyX wrote: How on earth are you going to pan a sound that only exists out of one channel ?
The MASTER track is stereo (has 2 channels). Individual tracks need only be mono. You pan things to a position on the master. A stereo image can be created by positioning mono tracks.

If you pan a stereo track hard-L, you will hear the L channel and not the R (and vice versa).

If both L & R channels of a track contain exactly the same information, essentially you are wasting processing power and disk space by keeping it stereo.