drum layer tutorials links + self made

- ask away
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

bip wrote:do you really fear bandwagon jumpers?
and...ehm...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimal_art
no I do not fear them, like copycats they will always be some step beyond us
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

ah,

and I knew already that wiki page, but that doesn't change my point of wiev
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

This whole thread got off topic. mmm.... I agree with you on that sorgenkind but if it wasn't for me wanted to get on the bandwagon in 1999 after producing drum and bass for 4 years, then I wouldn't be enjoying the minimal techno productions. We all have to start somewhere and still 8 years later I am creating minimal techno and i'm finally getting good at it. If bitz had not put the word minimal in there we might have not got off topic this conversation. No offense but instead of complaining about everyone creating minimal... and not understanding the roots of this music. For fck sake this music was purely 909 based. Now this person is talking about real production techniques...

I'm actually very interested in layering drum sounds. Over the past 6 months I've only been using microtonic to generate a majority of my drum kits. It doesn't feel right.

I don't think there isn't a single method or a tutorial that could talk about this. My current goal is to create unique sounds that matches my style. So a single tutorial is only going to tell me how to make 1 sound.

I am a really big fan of having all my samples available to me on the fly, I rarely resample and I despise freezing. So I'm looking to trigger lets say a snare and have it trigger a couple samples and even a drum synth to tweak.

My techniques up until now have usually been to load up a sample based instrument and load up samples into a bunch of banks. then trigger them at the same time or with slight offsets, then adjust the levels and sh!t to get my sound. But at the moment I'm looking for new methods.

I am trying out the linplug RM IV .

The drum synthesis is sort of weak, especially when compared to microtonic... However what I'm looking for is a way to build drum synth sounds and blend them with more natural sampled sounds. In the quickest way possible.

Concepts, that I've used in the past for layering drum sounds:
  • Mixing a couple together and use panning to create a layered image in stereo.
    Use 1 sound twice, offset it and pan to create a stereo image of the sample.
    I've also heard of taking a 909 kick drum, duplicating it, invert and pitch it up 1 octave for some sonically charged kicks.(HA but I think this is more for trance so I don't use this)
Why not people post their favorite concepts for creating layered drum sounds? If you've got techniques post those too.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
bip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bip »

so, if you don't fear them, why spending your time in complaining?

the point in wanted to show you in this article is just that the minimal movement comes from classical music, not electronic. it started with visual art and not with music, and the idea beyond this was not to make people dance...

at one moment or another we all jumped on the wagon
...::::....::::....::::...
i978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i978 »

STILL noone has talked about LAYERING DRUMS :lol:

Sorgenkind - Sort yourself out, mate.

I don't give a toss about anyone's conception of "Minimal". Does anyone here actually know how to layer drums?

Does eveyone in here just use presets and pre-fab sample-banks?

Ableton Monkeys.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

s.k. wrote:
victorgonzales wrote: My favorite minimal tracks have very little drumwork at all.
sorry but, how would you possibly know that?
If there is only a kick a hat and a snare and a shaker, and I can duplicate those exact drum sounds in under ten minutes, I would say theres not alot of drumwork. I like tracks where the synths and samples take over the track.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

victorgonzales wrote:If there is only a kick a hat and a snare and a shaker, and I can duplicate those exact drum sounds in under ten minutes, I would say theres not alot of drumwork. I like tracks where the synths and samples take over the track.
its good that you like that but emulating a drum set like that could take hours if you want to get it right.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

This thread sucks too.