Hello. Can you help me? I want buy a hardware compressor

- ask away
deRoland
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by deRoland »

you could also consider DIYing a SSL compressor. there's loads of tutorials and schematics to be found on the internet, and the parts are very cheap compared to buying a compressor. i sometimes use a DIYed SSL stereo compressor from someone i know, sounds great on drums mixes and on final mixes. if you know electronics, you could consider it!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Android wrote:I got a Alesis 3630 since Daft Punk uses them

and I liked it so much I picked up 3 more for cheap

I use them for filter / sidechain effects and they work great

I also picked up two old school (70's) DBX compressors but haven't tried them out yet...

any reason why you need compression?

I got mine strictly for sidechaining, don't use it to correct mixdown problems

This Toft looks pretty cool
http://www.toftaudiodesigns.com/dc2.html

let us know which you choose...
ha ha,
that makes me look pretty stupid, if ever there was a compressor that wasnt a waste of money, its the compressor that daft punk used to get that filtered house sound, fair play.
it still doesnt make me like it though, i find it degrades the signal, till it sounds flat as ****, i'll sell you mine mate if you want more, i really hate it.
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

Android wrote:I got a Alesis 3630 since Daft Punk uses them

and I liked it so much I picked up 3 more for cheap

I use them for filter / sidechain effects and they work great
where did you hear that? i find it very hard to believe.
moogz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by moogz »

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_daft_punk/ <- reference to the 3630

At work we use Neve and Smart's beauties, but at home I love low-end gear - my first foray into audible, creative compression was using a desktop version of the SPX90 (not a compressor, just cheap FX!)... at -48db / 20:1, it made Stuff Thump: Hard. Then I experimented with using different gains to the stereo inputs to create a sidechain-style ducking effect, which..

Got me completely hooked.

IMHO: Your program material is ultimately more important than the processor - you can get an incredibly tearing snare, yet subtle within the mix, by severely clipping one sample across every note on the keyboard on each hit with the right AT2R config, and that'd work on any hardware.

Guess it depends what you want to do with the box. Maybe you could find a local synthy/hardware shop where you can bring some material with you to try out what they have.

This is within your price range, and may well bring about the apocalypse in your studio:
http://www.smartresearch.co.uk/#C2
Lovingly hand-made, armed and dangerous.
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

i sit corrected.
just more proof, that it's not what you use, it's how you use it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

532nm wrote:i sit corrected.
just more proof, that it's not what you use, it's how you use it.
you're right mate, but just because Daft Punk used the 3630, doesnt mean we should all run out and buy one, i'm quite sure they could have got that sound with any number of other compressors, it just happens that they were happy with that one.
there are compressors out there that will do the same thing, but will give you a lot more besides, and give you the luxurious warmth of tubes etc. and will be a lot more flexible.
we just have to find the tools that work for us, and not worry about what others are doing.