How does the new Tresor compare?

- open
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

While berlin is always bursting at hte seams with the amount of talent (actual or imagined), there seems to be a lot of new concepts but very few at the party concept level. If the model of what a party is can change, we might see less bullshit around.

There is a difference between being hip and being slimey. There should be a goal to be in somewhere in the middle, like sleazy.

You do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this whole drug thing. Most of hte music we listen to is made by people that take drugs, oftentimes even in teh studio. But yo, has there ever really been a music scene anywhere with the music really being the only reason for its existence. People are social animals that like to be entertained. Be happy that they are helping support what you enjoy, unless you like following the output of dead genres. Live a little or chill out, either way dont let what others are doing dictate your experience.

Red Kite wrote:I see your point, but the problem in Berlin is that there's so many wasted possibilities, so much nose-in-the-air-attitude in the crowd and in the party organizers that you always have in mind what everything could be if people just wanted it to be.

The problem that everybody wants to make it in Berlin, every artist moving to Berlin, everybody pretending to be a cool artist knowing everybody else just intensifies that problem, often turning parties in snobby artists & friends only events. And if you open up the parties to everybody, like Tresor does, again people are complaining that all the proles who got turned away at the other venues gather there.

And the worst thing: It's not about the music at all. People are either too drugged to care about the music or they are just on the parties to hang out with their cool friends (probably some artists who moved to Berlin) and pretend to be important.

Stupid elitarian thinking basically ruined the club culture in Berlin. It's all just a waste!
freeeeeee
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Whatever happened to just ignoring the bullshit around you, going to dark corner with a speaker, and just zoning out all night the music? Get lost by yourself.
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Hell yeah!

A dark basement and a strobe light is all you need.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:Whatever happened to just ignoring the bullshit around you, going to dark corner with a speaker, and just zoning out all night the music? Get lost by yourself.
Go try to find a dark corner in a Berlin club, close to a speaker, it's actually very difficult. After hour culture kinda ruined the concept of a dark floor.

But that's exactly the reason I enjoy going to Tresor from time to time. At least the cellar is dark as hell! About the only place in berlin you can get really lost (and I'm not talking about the hallways! :wink: )
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Red Kite wrote: Go try to find a dark corner in a Berlin club, close to a speaker, it's actually very difficult. After hour culture kinda ruined the concept of a dark floor.

But that's exactly the reason I enjoy going to Tresor from time to time. At least the cellar is dark as hell! About the only place in berlin you can get really lost (and I'm not talking about the hallways! :wink: )
You are kidding, right? After hour culture has been going on in berlin a lot longer than this wave of hype, as have day parties.

and that tresor basement is still fairly bright with that constant barrage of strobe lights.

I am quite torn on the issue of light or dark. One of my best party experiences was when hawtin had detroits city club pitch black for seemingly hours on end, but there is something to be said about arriving at a party fresh with daylight. While dark rooms are spooky and sh!t, they do not encourage much communication. Designing for both is really difficult - it really depends on the architecture.
freeeeeee
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

I used to goto this really small dark venue, that was somewhat of a members club in its origin.

Everybody knew everybody else and the atmosphere was electric.

The club itself was pretty dark then at closing time they would switch the lights on for the last tune/'s until people would leave. Whooooooo that was scary stuff to see some of the states people you had been dancing next to for 8 hours were in.