[Fabric 36] Ricardo Villalobos

- wax
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by soapz »

harold_f wrote:
Rich wrote:I dunno, it just looks like extreme self-marketing to me...
It often annoys me to see DJ's putting a lot of their own tracks into a CD release mix, as they seem that they are just trying to promote themselves and use the mix CD for publicity, rather than using the best tracks available to make the best mix possible.
So when EVERY damn track is your own?? That's either an interesting concept, as people here seem to think, or just a major example of cynical marketing.
so you prefer a a mix cd with tracks that you will definitely go out and look for the second you see the tracklist on mnml.nl or any other site. Come september when the cd drops, these tracks will have been whored to death by wanna be's, bedroom/internet radio show dj's, my grandmother, and every other joe. At that point you will be so sick of hearing the same tracks so much that you will deem this mix boring and thats it. Fabric, wanted him to do something and he chose to do it this way, for his reasons. I dont think that "we" should speculate much on the matter, and just enjoy the mix come september.
Exactly. I look forward to hearing it and thats about as much as Im going to think about it til I actually do.
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

Fonque wrote:isn't it the true purpose of listening to mixes that you're getting new records to buy?
very rarely, maybe when i feel to lazy to browse discogs and a online recordstore for sample that i find on my own.the true purpose of mixes is listening to them at the office or in the car or whatever .... you may call me naive, but this is my true point of view

regarding ricardo's cd - all my respect for this. so simple, so original...so ricardo
Last edited by whatever on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Rich wrote:I dunno, it just looks like extreme self-marketing to me...
It often annoys me to see DJ's putting a lot of their own tracks into a CD release mix, as they seem that they are just trying to promote themselves and use the mix CD for publicity, rather than using the best tracks available to make the best mix possible.
So when EVERY damn track is your own?? That's either an interesting concept, as people here seem to think, or just a major example of cynical marketing.
Ric is not into cynical marketing.
Ric doesn't need more more exposure than what he has; it's pretty obvious he's playing and making what he wants to do.

Maybe this CD is about the best tracks to him... dude, what the hell is a best track?

You and i could discuss what is a best track and we would never agree. We wouldn't even agree on what's a good mix, what's a good album. To each his own tastes, view and work. If he did this Cd this way just like False did a mix with last album on minus, well, that's their thing.

If there's one artist out there who has all respect due for his productions, it's Ricardo without a doubt.
harold_f
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harold_f »

well said, pheek. I think that sometimes people just want to be playing the latest "hot sh!t, or bombs" that some of these guys (ricardo in this case), that we enjoy hearing, play. And if thats the case and you are a dj, I would go as far as calling someone lazy for not digging their own crates. Fabric came to him asking for something, he delivered (in his own way) and now its time to enjoy. Its that simple.
latin_funk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by latin_funk »

Must admit, he's done it again.
Creating a buzz and delivering something different to the Fabric catalogue.
Can't wait for this one.....

Plus, surprises me that the 'Primer Encuentro Latinoamericano' track which he's been using for the past few months appears on this.........Wonder if it'll ever be released on vinyl and if not, it's a good chance now for Fabric to cash in on some vinyl sales..........................
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

harold_f wrote:I think that sometimes people just want to be playing the latest "hot sht, or bombs" that some of these guys (ricardo in this case), that we enjoy hearing, play.
Seriously, I'm sick and tired of the "bomb" and "hits" concept. This had nothing to do with the minimal i was listening to in 1996, where we were much more interested in experimentation and sound exploration. I really and bored and fed up of the hype about hot music. fck that. :x
mo's taverne
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mo's taverne »

Seriously, I'm sick and tired of the "bomb" and "hits" concept. This had nothing to do with the minimal i was listening to in 1996, where we were much more interested in experimentation and sound exploration. I really and bored and fed up of the hype about hot music. fck that. :x
i really agree on that.

exploiting of a genre is what we see most of the time if we look at those "bombs" and "killers". Boring and copying the copy of the copy all way down.

sure, the wheel of techno rarely get's new invented, but as an interested and informed techno/house/minimal/callitlikeyouwant addict, there's nothing more exciting than discovering "new ways" - production and presenting / performance wise. Ricardo is at least on the first one a true mastermind, and discovers "new ways" on the second one with his Albummix ( sure that he is not ta pioneer of this form of presentation).

time will tell, but tonight my glass of red wine (my girlfriend came back from a long vacation with her family, so we drunk a glass or two) goes out for those who are fed up with cold, soul- and mindless minimalhype shite.amen, my brother.
...:.::.:::.:.....::....:...::...::.::::....::...:....

http://biloba.twoday.net/
nvrRvd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nvrRvd »

Seriously, I'm sick and tired of the "bomb" and "hits" concept. This had nothing to do with the minimal i was listening to in 1996, where we were much more interested in experimentation and sound exploration. I really and bored and fed up of the hype about hot music. fck that. :x[/quote]

Good to here that!

Most of what people call minimal these days would fit right into a global underground mix from 5 yrs ago.