Jeff Milligan Interview

- open
trensp
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Jeff Milligan Interview

Post by trensp »

http://www.higher-frequency.com/e_inter ... /index.htm

this is one of the best interviews I've read as of late. the guy is next level...

check it.
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

Jeff is just as articulate as ever.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Great interview, thanks a lot. Very wise guy.

Someone should tell Sven Väth that thing about the DJ booth.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

ditto. one of the best interviews ive read. the most intelligent interview at least. i agree with everything he says except for one point. he says that minus is popular that they can make people believe a crap record is good simply because of the brand reputation, and that eventually when so many people play it it becomes good. i dont think thats true. its just like the example he gave, most clubbers worked in a bank or office all week and just want to relax and have fun when they go out. they have no idea if its a minus record or not. this is the only place he contradicts himself.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

Red Kite wrote:Great interview, thanks a lot. Very wise guy.

Someone should tell Sven Väth that thing about the DJ booth.
sven has been repeatedly cricized over the years about him not being the best technical mixer. but that is about the only thing one could pick on him about, and good mixer/bad mixer is just a matter of taste/opinion. the truth is the criticism is primarily from geeky djs that think djing is about who can hold 2 beats together the longest. i think sven would be more than happy to be on the floor with the crowd, and if the crowd saw how he mixes, this would make them appreciate him even more. he doesn't do just short mixes, he will do a few long mixes, because he understands there is a time and place for long mixes. and the one thing he is probably king of above all others, is programming. no one can touch him in that category. that and having an ear for picking out the most incredible song-like records that everyone else overlooked. he has that sense of playing just the right record at just the most perfect time.

http://www.nature-one.de/2273.0.html

you dont even need to see what he's doing to be in love with his sets. like many have said, in the end its whats coming out of the speakers that matters. jeff milligan relies more on people seeing what he's doing probably because his sound is not as appealing without it, as harsh as that may come out, and some will hate me for saying that. but consider this popular video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ffxeCs578Kg

ive played that to a room full of people once, and only the people who could see the computer screen appreciated it, the 2 girls in the kitchen said oh my god turn that crap off sounds like a broken video game.
TMCM
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TMCM »

i don't think red kite pointed to sven himself, i guess he was talking about the dj booth in svens cocoon club. :wink:
coffee makes you happy... except when it messes you up.
Twitter Last.FM Facebook
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Very good interview. The minus thing is very true.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

TMCM wrote:i don't think red kite pointed to sven himself, i guess he was talking about the dj booth in svens cocoon club. :wink:
ahh ok i see what you mean. hey man, careful with the coffee.