Getting gigs..... tips.

- open
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

Its a good point and i suppose your right. Thanks for the help.

Im not sure who you are/what you do but you really seem to have a wealth of experience your willing to share. So thaks for that.

Got any internships available :wink:
sylvie.foret
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sylvie.foret »

Der geile Ami wrote:.

YOu get out 10x what you put in. There is too much talent (good and bad) here to simply sit back behind a cd and wait. Even if you are that good, so are 538723 other people that will fill the floor with their name. It is an entertainment industry, no different than casting movie stars for feature films
i think berlin is the only place where this ratio applies.

i just got back from 3 weeks there. i hadn't been since i was a teenager-- when i took my first pill! there aren't words to describe what i experienced. on every level. i'm back in the states now-- heartbroken cos i miss it so much. berlin is a magical city. full of so much possibility. it's easy for me to say that, but sometimes it takes an outsider to make you remember how special your hometown is.

anyway, woody allen said that 99% of life is just being there. it seems like this is especially true in berlin. it seems like if you just show up enough and you bring good vibes with you, people will eventually want to know you. and if you don't do drugs, just show up at sunrise and start drinking!

the thing is, and this is true everywhere, nobody's entitled to anything. no matter how good you are. you could be plasticman, but if you never leave your bedroom because you're too jaded or too sober or you think you're above it all, who the hell cares?
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Alphajuno wrote:Its a good point and i suppose your right. Thanks for the help.

Im not sure who you are/what you do but you really seem to have a wealth of experience your willing to share. So thaks for that.

Got any internships available :wink:
Im just another big nobody that talks too much sh!t and hang out online too much. In my spare time I engineer sound systems for clubs and promoters. Bar 25 and Arena Club are my active projects, but I work for the arena complex as a whole fulltime.

I dont thik one needs to have money or be fucked up all the time to get ahead, but many get ahead by faking that you do. Just another manifestation of charm and personality.
freeeeeee
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

I sometimes have the feeling it helps being pretentious. Y'know, telling everybody how fucking great you are. Being a living advertisement for yourself. I hate that attitude, but staying honest with yourself doesn't seem to lead anywhere at all.

Being a nice guy only helps if you know other people who are nice guys but made it somehow. And knowing a club owner of party organizer ten times more helps than knowing some big name artist, cause the artist will always try to get his own releases and gigs. He has to if he wants to survive on his music.

And the worst thing you can do: Never ever try to be avantgarde, foward thinking or experimental. The best you can get out of this is a netlabel release...
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

it's a job like any other.
get out there, promotre yourself, lick some asses, let people know that you exist, make compromises, invest, lie, network and you will get the jobs.

it's not all an artsy fartys dream world like some think. business business business, you can make a really sh!t awfull crap record but still sell, it's all about packaging, knowing your audience, what they want to hear, how they think.....bla bla bla.

go out there and sell yourself, after all it's you the artist (the product) you are trying to sell, package yourself well, and if the content is good too that's when you will have loyal customers.

Edit: one more thing,
always try to hangout with people who are smarter, better,powerfull than you!
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

Red Kite wrote: And the worst thing you can do: Never ever try to be avantgarde, foward thinking or experimental. The best you can get out of this is a netlabel release...
A)
that's right if you want to achieve what common people calls "success".
that means that you will be exposed to many people, you will travel, earn money and maybe see your name on some releases.

B)
but, if what you want is to make your dream true and make the music you have always dreamed of it is the way to go.

note: solution B applies only to people who have a dream :wink:

recapitulation: at the end you just have to know what you really want and go for it

what i really want now is a siesta, but i'm a work and can't.... so i write bs on the net :wink:
ao
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ao »

If there's one common thread to all the advice in here, it's to get out there and meet people, and I totally agree with that . . . just make sure to have demos with you always, you never know who you're going to run into when you're out in Berlin . . .

I'm just here for the summer, but by makin' the most of the people I meet (ie, call them back and hang out w/ them, etc., dropping off cd's, following up in person) I'm having a really productive summer dj'ing, producing, and promoting.

So the big thing is to meet the other people in the scene . . . personal contact goes so much further than on-line, I find.

Cheers,
ao.
pantycontrol
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pantycontrol »

leave berlin

jk
"that sounds like a dog fart a hand clap"