(OK003) Matt O’Brien - A Different Light E.P.

- wax
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

(OK003) Matt O’Brien - A Different Light E.P.

Post by fader »

Artist: Matt O’Brien
Title: A Different Light E.P.
Label: Off-key Industries
Cat No: OK003
Release Date: 01.08.2007

Tracks:
A1 - On The Brink http://rad.previewmode.net/blackhole/ok003/a1.mp3
A2 - On The Brink (beatless mix) http://rad.previewmode.net/blackhole/ok003/a2.mp3
B1 - No Reason http://rad.previewmode.net/blackhole/ok003/b1.mp3
B2 – Elixir http://rad.previewmode.net/blackhole/ok003/b2.mp3

Fresh from the critically acclaimed and well supported "Attic Trax EP" that was rinsed by DJ’s as diverse and respected as Villabos, Hawtin, Luciano, Radio Slave and Ryan Elliot, Matt returns with yet another incendiary EP of dancefloor pyrotechnics, deep, twinklingly nuanced techno and oblong house. After a string of live gigs throughout the UK and Europe, Matt has refined his sound to a deadly technoid precision with tracks that fit well within a set of many genres while still managing to avoid getting tied up in the usual cliched generisms and scenes.
Kicking off the EP in a typically upfront style, "On The Brink" hits the rave panic button with its oscillating siren crescendo, stepping subbass and tightly interlocking chicago beats. Steady builds keeps the dancefloor steaming with no release of the pressure which is sure to drive ravers to the brink and far beyond.
On the flip, "No Reason" continues the journey with a spacious, sun-drenched house cut, that bathes in warm synth drones, barely heard piano tinkles and surges of ecstasy, both wistful and euphoric, which is as good a description for the perfect house record you could possibly get.
The EP climaxes with "Elixir" which pits angelic strings, glints of sunshine and a rising melancholia against tuff distorted and jacking house beats - for a music that stimulates the heart but keeps its focus set firmly on the party.

Initial feedback:
Laurent Garnier - “I love "no reason" very much. Full support from me.”
Radioslave - Love it – On The Brink is going to do some serious damage! Personally I really dig Elixir as well.”
Efdemin (Dial, Liebe Detail) - “Thank you so much for the ep. It's a big one again. "On The Brink" is amazing.”
Tobias Becker (Platzhirsch Schallplatten) - 'On The Brink' is one of the biggest tunes I heard this year.
Len Faki (lenseries, ostgut tontrager) - i'm completly into the "on the brink" track - loving the ravesiren into the shuffle energy beats! great!
Ben Klock (bpitch, ostgut tontrager) - I like the b side! especially the b2 track.

Forthcoming releases from Off-key & Matt O’Brien:
Efdemin – Acid Bells (Matt O’Brien Remix) - Curle Recordings – released 17.09.2007
Various Artists – Recollections Vol 1 (Off-key Limited) – released Sept / Oct 2007
Last edited by fader on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

Love the B side. Much more my style... getting so tired of the sirens found on the A side.
undergrnd
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by undergrnd »

on the brink...for me !!
kenny dies all the time
www.myspace.com/undergrnd
dario zenker
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dario zenker »

i love matt o brien.

HUUUGE.
Okain
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Okain »

Both side are great!
betzy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by betzy »

light years far from serotone anyway
punchi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by punchi »

Loved Serotone...will pick this one up ASAP.
antonio_pt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by antonio_pt »

b-side for me too. b2 sounding specially good. eyes down...