RA - Month to Month: The M word

- open
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

RA - Month to Month: The M word

Post by Robot Criminal »

Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
slickrick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by slickrick »

They stole my friends picture!!!!

This is bad.

check this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/merlijnhoek/177543366/

edit: they just put his name under it.. after a mad email... :?
Elektric Salsa
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

heh :D thats bad!
they shouldve put the name there without any angry emails!
but thats not the subject here
try just to imagine the ubercoolische Berlin hypesters spreading the word for a party

"heh, shhhh.. we're organizing this party tomorrow, and guess what... it's not minimal but (dramatic pause) it's deep house and tech-house, minimal is noot cool anymore, this is totally new and different *wink*"
:D
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

You make some awesome pictures Merlijn!
mando
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mando »

really good column, i like these words, i can say: Word!
"In Germany we didn't have the discussion in the last four or five years about dance music being dead, because the so called 'dance music scene' in Germany has always been totally separate to what is going on underground in the club scene. There was that kind of movement here around ‘94 or ‘95 when techno music became very popular, because of Mayday and the Love Parade and so on. A lot of people who joined the techno scene in the beginning, in the early 90s, they were disappointed, and they tried to find something new, to reinvent the underground and the club scene. That happened in ‘96, ‘97, ‘98, and maybe even later in ‘99 and 2000.

Then, in the last three or four years, especially in Berlin, that underground scene has become bigger and bigger. It has been like the new birth of something, and I think this movement all happened around minimal or so called 'minimal music'."

_but_ he forgot, thats its not only berlin, where "minimal" (underground electronic music) is alive or dominating a music scene.

the first years of "mnml" music are in cologne (kompakt etc.) and here in munich is also a big mnml scene, all underground artists round the world coming here for their gigs.

i also can recomment this DVD "We built this City - a documentary on electronic music made in cologne"
klick me

also this one:
Berlin Digital
klick me

or this:
Freak Show (International Gigolo Records)
klick me

(i think you can order these dvds worldwide)

i dont like, if people only use richie hawtin/ricardo villalobos, moved to berlin, everything about "mnml music" is going only round berlin.

there are also only Top5 Clubs and some Top DJ-Bars in the underground scene in berlin.
(see Berghain/Panorama Bar, Maria, Watergate, Tresor...)

but for people it seems like much much more locations for this underground scene and thats not right.

it looks like a mature "mnml" city, because so many label offices (and artists) also moved to berlin, but they are managing their events/bookings for all other cities.

perhaps its german thing (from the beginning), okay, i agree with him (see also Jeff Mills Interview).
but now, there are worldwide artists, labels, clubs are sharing their love to this kind of underground electronic music.
(see also Barcelona, London...)
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by soapz »

slickrick wrote:They stole my friends picture!!!!

This is bad.

check this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/merlijnhoek/177543366/

edit: they just put his name under it.. after a mad email... :?
pics are amazing! This was the first time I heard Hawtin & Villalobos. I'll never forget it!